Best Practices for Dealing w/ Power Failure

We had a power flicker last week and, as the hub was coming back online, one of my fans in the workshop turned on. It had NOT been on prior to the event and the fact that it turned on surprised me. I control lights, vacuum and fans only so the fact that this occurred is not a significant event for me unless I'm out of town.

However, this event has inspired some thought around ways to:
1.) Programmatically detect a power outage &
2.) Respond to the restoration of power with specific actions.

The first thought was that I can ensure that no fans or lights are left on in the workshop with a simple all-off command applied to a scene, perhaps. But, the timing of that command is the problem.

Perhaps something like 'power level exceeded' could be applied here...

Does anyone have ideas on how to detect a power outage and then act on it? Thanks!

This doesn't actually detect a power outage but it does detect when the hub has rebooted.
As I do not use a UPS then the hub will boot up after a power failure.
I'm not sure if this will help/give you some ideas but here it is anyway.
Cheers.

3 Likes
  1. Get a UPS
  2. Most z-wave plugs have power recovery features where you can set the recovery mode. Last state is typically default but not always on plugs. Using this you can set the device to power on/off/last on power events like this. I don't think Zigbee plugs have this and most of them are "not configurable".
1 Like

@david4 The UPS recommendation is a no-brainer. Cheap and will prevent possible damage to all your IoT hubs and bridges.

You can use @bobbles recommendation to simply turn everything OFF that doesn't support user definable default power states when the power is out for longer than your UPS can sustain.

2 Likes

The USP Power Loss Sensor and an Ecolink Z-Wave Plus Door/Window contact sensor seems to work well for detecting power outages.

2 Likes

@david4, if you are a bit handy there are some good options in this thread. Around post 30, there are some simpler options.

Power Circuit Monitoring for Power Loss

If you have a Synology or Qnap NAS then this is also a simple and effective option.

2 Likes