Best practice to bind dimmer switch to bulb group

What's the best practice (simplest) way to bind a dimmer switch (hue tap dial in this case) to a bulb group so that they dim when you turn the dial?

Is there a good way to do this in the room lighting app or do I need to use another rule/app?

Thanks!

Room Lighting might work, but I'd try Button Controller to just send the right commands (actions in the app) to the right lights based on button events from your device.

I also wrote this app to make things a bit easier for me if all buttons involve the same,lights, but there's nothing it can do that you can't do other ways (and my main intent was really helping Pico act like Hue Dimmers): [RELEASE] Dimmer Button Controller (configure Pico to emulate Hue Dimmer or any button device to easily control lights)

Of course, this all depends on your device sending button events you can meaningfully use. I don't know what the Tap does for what (and assume you have it integrated via some third-party integration like mine given that they are not natively supported).

What type of bulb groups do you have? If you have Hue bulbs on the Hue Hub, for dimming purposes, it’s easiest to just use the Hue Hub. Otherwise, button controller would work assuming you are using one of the community apps.

1 Like