Best motion sensor on battery?

You like fibaro better ??

After re-reading the post a couple of times i think your saying the lux readings in fibaro is better that aeotec M6

Yes much better.
As mentioned by others the motion detection works a lot better also.
It is not as fast as my zigbee sensors but pretty close.

1 Like

Awesome once again thanks for everyone feedback !!

I like the NYCE motion sensors.

• Zigbee
  • fast
  • small (although that is subjective/matter of opinion)
  • supported in Hubitat with in-box drivers
  • Report temperature and humidity too
  • 5 year battery.

Only downside is cost.

4 Likes

Second this. I actually like the aeotec MS6 for a light sensor and a "keep on" sensor. I like that it can easily be placed in a ceiling and hardwired (I would never run these on batteries). However...it's slow if you are relying on it for initial motion. I use one of these in my master bathroom as an additional motion sensor, humidity sensor for shower fan and light sensor for determining light levels. It's really good for all those uses.

I will add my x1000 for the Iris motion sensors listed in this thread. It's all I use now. Fantastic battery life and almost instant turn on with my Lutron lights. I already had most of my motion sensors I needed, but I bought an additional pack of 10 off ebay a while back because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to buy them in the future.... and still have 5 left. I have no worries they will get used. I'll probably pick up another pack...just to have them.

As others have mentioned the Iris 3310-L2 Zigbee outlets are AMAZING repeaters and if you can find them and worth spreading around the house weather you use them or not. I did a lot of research into my zigbee mesh with my xbee and it's clear to see how good the Iris outlets are.

2 Likes

Can you put these on the HUE hub ?

No, they're ZHA1.2. AFAIK, the Hue hub only supports ZLL.

1 Like

There are a number of settings that are configurable one of which is motion sensitivity. The stock HE driver for the Multisensor 6 exposes virtually none of them. :roll_eyes: There is an alternative community driver in the forums, by @csteele, that I switched to that allows complete fine control of these variables. It made a HUGE difference when getting your money's worth out of them.

2 Likes

Add me to the SmartThings boat, while I can't speak to their "speed", I really like their look, I love that they report temperature, and the price is reasonable,

Given the temp reporting, they do eat through batteries probably more than others, but that is a good trade-off for me.

I've also heard good things about the new Ring Motion Sensor which there are direct community drivers available now for them to connect directly to HE. They look to have AA batteries which is a huge plus for me as well. One of those will be my next purchase.

I use two sensors here. The Zooz Multi Sensor and the Sylvania Sensor (which is made by Centralite).

The Zooz sensor is ZWave with a whole lot of features (humidity, LUX, etc) while the Sylvania sensor is Zigbee and can only do motion and temp.

The Sylvania sensors arer way faster than the Zooz, however, I do find that they are also quite buggy in my house. Now please take with a grain of salt because as some already know, I have some Zigbee issues here and I seem to be alone in having them.

I just bought an Aeotech Multi 6, which is kind of expensive, but we'll see how it goes.

I'd link to the other two sensors I have, but it seems as they are no longer available on Amazon Canada. :frowning:

1 Like

Owning both a dozen Aeotec multisensor 6 and NYCE motion, I can say I would never buy an Aeotec MS 6 over the NYCE.

They are similar price but the NYCE reports faster, is smaller, and has 5 year battery. :man_shrugging:

But each to their own.

2 Likes

My vote is for Hue Motion. Fast reporting, cheap AAA batteries, which will pay for the motion sensor compared to lithiums, esp. those stupid coin cells.
Costco has a 2 pack of Hue motion for 54.99, best price I've seen in a while, outside of used on ebay.
Mine work great directly connected to HE, and they have a very strong connection. I can see through my XBee the Hue motion sensors have a very robust connection to several repeaters and have never fallen off my mesh

4 Likes

Agreed - I've been using the Dome and Fibaro sensors motion sensors for the last couple of years - they are fast and don't chew thru batteries. The plus side with the Fibaro sensors are that the lux levels and temperature readings are accurate enough for me to run light and temperature based rules for the rooms :+1:

3 Likes

I was just reviewing this , could i pair this to HE and have it turn on HUE lights connected into HE thru hue bridge

All the lights in my Kitchen are HUE. Thinking of using this as an occupancy sensor , once no motion for X amount of time turn off kitchen lights

This is the water sensor right ?? I was thinking of getting a zwave controlled water shut off valve and pairing it to these some sensors

For water shutoff valves I've used the Dome and EcoNet. I am currently using EcoNet seems sturdier with more torque but it is more expensive. I like both though.

1 Like

I've never used Hue devices, so I'm afraid I don't know.

I use the leak gopher / homeseer zwave plus water valve in my house. Works great.

1 Like

Does the Fibaro motion sensors report lux only on motion or whenever there is a certain amount of change?

Everything connected to HE can be controlled by inputs by any sensor in the environment. So, yes - ZWave and Zigbee sensors connected directly to HE can trigger switches/lights/bulbs connected via local ethernet on Hue and Lutron hubs :slight_smile:
I have Dome and Fibaro sensors triggering Lutron lights and Lutron fan switches :+1:

1 Like