Best IR Emitter/Blaster

I've been poking around to see which IR device works the best and has the best HE support. Based on my research, it looks like most users opt for either Harmony Hub or the ip2ir which appears to be heavily supported primarily by user bptworld.

Do I have a good assessment of the space? Any other devices/factors/issues to consider?

IMHO it depends heavily on what you you want to use the integration for. I have two Harmony hubs and they handle a lot within HE, but I use it primarily for the entertainment functions and the integration has a switch to control lights and other automations when the entertainment category is chosen. Playstation/TV/Roku.

1 Like

I use Harmony hubs because they are cheap. You can commonly get one of the low end remotes and a hub as a refurb for 40 bucks. They've been pretty good to me so far.

1 Like

Ip2ir is quite expensive I recall. Try the RM3 from Broadlink. Tiny, cool looking device with a community driver and almost as cheap as a bag of chips.

1 Like

thanks. I'll look into that too. What I guess I really want is the one with the most active support on here. I always seem to pick the wrong horse.

I have this one. I don't even have it hooked up to Hubitat. I just use the Broadlink app and have the Alexa skill enabled. We have it in the bed room. I have it turning the TV off and the Dyson fans on. At night when I am ready to sleep, I just tell Alexa to turn off the TV and turn on All fans. I have an Alexa routine that has the Dyson's and my Hubitat connected fan in it and it controls all of them. It has been a trouble free device and as @Angus_M mentioned, cheap.

Edit: It is affectionately referred to as the "Black Bean"

2 Likes

Ha ha ha, I know the feeling. But this is a cool little device and seems to work well. Just make sure you don't buy the RM4 because it doesn't allow local control. And ensure you only set it up with either of the 2 apps mentioned in the relevant thread (below), because otherwise HE can't control it.

Cheers.

1 Like

The harmony’s are actually pretty powerful. Not only are they locally controlled via wifi but with the latest updates to the community driver you can basically send any command to any device without having to be in an activity.

I also found their IR blasting ability to be pretty good. Sometimes it surprises me how a signal gets from behind the tv to the front. But it bounces off everything to get there.

And if you have issues they have extenders that you can use to help send the signal.

I have 4 of them (one on every tv) and use them in a regular basis.

1 Like

do you only need the hub or do you need to buy their actual remote?

Technically you only need the hub. You can control it from the app or whatever automation.

But if you watch for deals you will see the hub and companion remote go on sale for the same price as the hub alone. Might as well get the remote. It’s a good remote.

2 Likes

@Angus_M Do you still like this device to mimic a remote control? Are there any that would be better for a single use situation? Just to mimic a Toto (toilet seat) remote?

Yes, my RM3 works perfectly. Never had any issue with it whatsoever. Cheap, small and cool looking, and functional.

@Angus_M, do you know where they are hiding the habitat code for the RM3? I can't find it...

Which Harmony hub is everyone using? The regular hub or the Pro 2400? Thanks!

I just have the regular hub. Got one of them at each of my TV's.

I'm wanting to use one for a home theater and the basic receiver / Blu-ray / projector / cable box connections should work but I'm trying to have two WLED controllers be turned on / off as well as dim when hitting pause in a movie. Is this still a good path to take?

Can Harmony Span and this driver work together?

Span

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.