Best DIY “TTS” for Hubitat?

Uh so I’m trying to find a way / some kinda even hack to get NATIVE Hubitat TTS/speaking. I do have a Google TV device and I like how it works, but unfortunately it’s not exactly fit for my application here. I’ve searched, tried chrome-cast receiver type things for we’ll just say a Raspberry-Pi (as if I say anything else I’ll have to explain it) (but im sure that will also cause some problems here) and have come up basically short searching this topic not exactly even knowing what I’m looking for in search friendly terms.

I’m aware of BigTalker as I’m a SmartThings refugee and used it many cycles ago. I want something that works natively. If a forum veteran could just reply “have you searched …” and ban me, as so common in forums, that would be wonderful as I’ve come up with nothing, thanks. I’ll take that over just getting ignored as I’ll at-least get, little, but some kind of assistance; maybe it will be enough.

I just need something that can run on a Linux SBC that can be linked to Hubitat as a tts device. I’d rather not buy Google spy devices. The one I have stays unplugged unless it’s VR night. That’s it’s only purpose, and will only ever be. Idk if something like VLC thing? But from my looking anytime it’s mentioned in regards to Hubitat it’s all just problems and broken code so… not gona waste my time there…

My apologies in advance my superiors. I’m a lowly looser new to Hubitat pleb. Please forgive me my royalness.

I dont think I understand some of the requirements you are referring to so not sure if I am helping you with a proper answer to your question.... But.

I used to use Google Minis for my TTS but found them quite unreliable. I tried a Sonos after a bit of researching and it works flawlessly, I think because it runs locally using HE local TTS rather than using Google/Cloud

Actually, it doesn’t run locally.

Hubitat uses Amazon Polly to convert text to a sound file, which is then stored in the hub. So it is cloud dependent for at least the first instance of every TTS.

AFAIK, this is the only fully local TTS available for Hubitat using a Raspberry Pi (or other SBC). It works with any speaker hardwired to the SBC, or connected to it via Bluetooth, or accessible over the LAN. The only requirement is that speaker should play mp3 files.

Fully Local TTS with a Raspberry PI (Voice Control coming...)

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll take a look thanks.

1 Like

Hello All,

I am wanting to move away from Google for TTS, has there been any new solutions tried (besides Alexa).

Thanks
Matt