I'm new to the whole home automation scene but am quite tech savvy in figuring how things work (I have a background in electronics engineering).
I recently purchased a ST V3 hub and some ST universal sensors and outlet (boxing day sale ). I thought it was a good choice to start from but after researching more on home automation and cloud based systems I'm not quite sure. Then I found about Hubitat and am rethinking things.
The one big benefit from my research is that Hubitat runs local but what I would like to know is:
- Can you access devices remotely like you can with ST on Hubitat? (i.e. I forgot to set a timer for a light or turn something off or check the status of a device)
- How would you do a firmware update for ST devices or any other brand of device?
- I've seen that there's a mobile app but reviews on it have not been good. Is there a way to get notifications on a mobile device (phone/tablet) when a device gets triggered (i.e. door sensor)?
- Just want to confirm that when there's no internet connection scenes/routines can still be executed (i.e. I come home and Hubitat recognizes that and turns on lights)?
- If I put the Hubitat and modem/router on a UPS and power goes down will the system still work with battery powered devices/sensors (i.e. ST universal sensor)?
Sorry for the lengthy questions but I want to make the right decision before jumping all in