Be aware of port forwarding

In Washington State also.

My sentiments also.

2 Likes

Only on the east side......well, perhaps also in the Greater Tacoma area....lol

S.

I live in Spokane... you don't want to walk into anyone house you don't know. Here people will shoot you for that.

I have to admit that I'm torn on this from a different angle. Meaning no disrespect with this next question, but who anoints whom the capacity to protect people from themselves? For the most part, it's up to some type of representational process (e.g. laws, HOA, schools etc). In this case, there is none. I very much appreciate the idea of altruism, but this seems at best to be a quasi-vigilante approach with a solution that has no measurement of success. Beyond that is the idea of the recipient of said "saving measures" understanding the altruistic and noble motives. Can you really know that they are going to think you saved them from something? Or, is the emotional response from being violated going to be the only thing they feel?

I read this threat and I felt very startled that anyone could decide this was a proper course of action. I do feel we have a responsibility to help our fellow beings, but the ends doesn't seem to justify the means in this case.

This is only my opinion and is written with the utmost respect. No offense is intended.

3 Likes

Don't worry I'd guess so. That's the reason why I do it. I'll take my chances and hope nobody abuses my good intend and sue me for it.

@frits there's an episode of a guy with a handle on Twitter Elliot Alderson (Mr.Robot) on Darknet diary who did similar stuffs to this. He called himself Grey hacker since it's not white or black :grin:

1 Like

See, east side. I grew up on the West Side...Toledo. My family are all in Longview though.

S.

1 Like

I agree. And I have thought (maybe not very very long) about how I would approach this. I could've given HE team a message with all IP's and hope they have email addresses for all those people. And maybe I will do that in the future.
And no, there is never a certainty about if people see my actions as a nice helpful gesture or just damn annoying.

2 Likes

He's being transparent. That's whitehacking.

Then technically that's just hacking :wink:

2 Likes

That’s why it’s still an invasion of other people’s privacy, even if your intentions are altruistic and you have convinced yourself the ends justify the means.

Respectfully, I agree with most others here and urge you to rethink your methods to achieve your goals without resorting to a solution that is illegal and unethical.

1 Like

...And unsafe. Blindly turning on/off devices without knowing whether or not they trigger other actions, then taking away the owner's means of control could have some negative results.

4 Likes

You know what. I decided to stop helping people. From now on I'm going to do nothing and enjoy my own life. I hope nobody else is going to take advantage in a bad way of the open ports. Don't count on my warnings because i'm not giving them anymore. I hope everybody is happy now?

3 Likes

Sometimes you have to just let the user learn the hard way. Sorry I and others here have been harsh about this.

Hi @frits
While I appreciate the point you were making about port forwarding and the fact that people should take care in exposing their home network, I'm afraid that posting the IP address of a hub (it may be yours, I don't know, to prove the point) you have just lost the moral high ground. It's a shame because you have made good contributions to the forum.
I think it's time for us all to step back, take a deep breath and start again.

2 Likes

I agree

This thread drifted off from original purpose. Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions.

6 Likes