Bayesian

I haven't used Safety Monitor as yet - still working on getting the hardware installed and such, so take the suggestion for what it's worth....

But I'm concerned about false alarms. My conception is to use pretty much every device in the house - contact sensors, wall switches and remotes, motion sensors, vibration sensors, etc. With more devices tied in, the chances for false alarms increase. Yet the larger the security net, the less likely any intruder could possibly evade it.

My idea... Make the system Bayesian. With the option enabled, Safety Monitor could allow setting a threshold number of points, and each device be assigned a number of points. Example, with a threshold of 10 points:

Locks - 9
Door sensors - 7
Window contact sensor - 5
Switches/remotes - 4
Vibrations sensors - 2
Motion sensors - 1

With 5 or more points inside n minutes, it triggers an alert, and 10 or more triggers an alarm. Of course, the number of points required, and for each device, would need to be set by the user, but with no one device triggering an alarm, it should eliminate false alarms. I wouldn't want to be alerted if a bird flies into a window setting off a vibration sensor, but I'd at least want an alert if my door unlocks or opens.

Thoughts?

You could create a separate Application hooking to user-selected, security related sensors. The app could then assign a weight to each sensor type or individually (individually since location may change the weight (i.e., Motion sensor in entry hall vs bathroom). This could be used for concept exploration, usability determination, and number of false alarm.

If such a feature isn't added to Safety Monitor, I'll probably write my own. But I have yet to debug my other apps properly, so I'd rather have the professionals do it for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

You could achieve something like this relatively easily using Rule Machine. Increment a counter (global variable) by the desired amount for each trigger during the activated period. When the threshold is reached, trigger HSM (or whatever you like) and reset the counter back to zero. I've set up something similar for a different use case and it works well.

I use many of the same items you list and I personally wouldn't use a point system, but I would use existing Hubitat apps to reduce false alarms.

A window sensor or door sensor doesn't need a point system, I need the alarm system to alarm. I have never had one of these sensors report falsely. If my alarm is set and a door or window is opened, I want my alarm to sound off. HSM allows you to add a delay on a door, if you typically open the door and then turn the alarm off on an indoor keypad.

Locks. I have a schlage deadbolt zwave lock. I don't think it would report anything if the door was kicked open as the deadbolt would still be in the locked position (in this case the door sensor would report the door has been opened).

Motion Sensors (and possibly vibration sensors). Simply use the built in app called "Zone Motion Controllers". The app lets you decide how many motion controllers must be triggered in a specific time frame of your choosing. Without this I would have my pets setting off my alarm fairly frequently. With the way I set it up I have had no false alarms yet.

I was looking at using this for something similar. I decided to go another way. It might work in this instance.