Battery powered LED Notifier?

The Inovelli switches have this neat programmable LED on them that works great with notifications. I'd like to buy / build a kit that allows me to have a led notifier on any surface, wirelessly.
Any ideas on potential solutions?

Update:
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Hue-Portable-Dimmable-Assistant/dp/B00UVHAC1O
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KXQ85NW/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_LJndEbG9E279W?th=1

1 Like

You'll have to resort to an unofficial (or semi-official but third-party-dependent) solution to get the Ring device integrated, if it even can. There are a few options, but I'm not sure if any support the Ring Smart Light you linked to. These could include IFTTT applets, an Alexa or GH routine, or the community-developed Ring integration app--but again, you'll have to check that this particular device works. In any case, there is no 100% native Hubitat integration.

The Hue device would certainly work, though it may be a bit expensive for that sole purpose. Hubitat comes with a native, local Hue Bridge integration (and there are at least two community-created options).

I'm not sure what other products there might be in the battery-powered arena--that tends to make things difficult, both from a "must be always listening" perspective and the fact that generating the light may also drain battery. There are pseudo-portable mains-powered solutions you could use like an RGB LED controller and lightstrip (basically a DIY Hue Lightstrip, but you can make it a short length; there are lots of 12V and 24V options and even a few 5V USB options that might be more suited for this...and for that matter, I guess even the Hue Lightstrip would work, but if you don't need it then it's about the same price as the Go that actually matches your desired features). That's something I once thought of doing on my own but haven't convinced myself it would actually be useful enough to do yet. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How long do you need the battery life to last? :slight_smile:

1 Like

The second linked device (the Ring Steplight) is supported by [Release] Unofficial Ring Integration.

It requires the Ring Smart Lighting Bridge, it is a cloud integration and it is, as @bertabcd1234 mentioned, very third-party-dependent on Ring not shutting down or changing their private communications between devices. It will recognize as a light and a motion sensor device in Hubitat.

1 Like

The Hue Go portable light you linked to keeps it charge for about 3 hours, only slightly longer if the light is off, from the numerous review/write-ups I've read/watched on it. Definitely not even close to 1/4 of a day.
I haven't seen one review of that light that didn't complain about that.

What about Centralite's Night Light Repeater? Although that would be any outlet I guess not any surface.

EDIT: Of course I mentioned this before mine actually arrived... it does not (yet) work quite as advertised. For progress on that there is a separate thread.

1 Like

I have several of the Hue devices you mention. They look great and work well but the battery doesn't last very long (about 2-3 hrs) so do consider that in your deployment. They are also quite pricey. I use them as uplighters in the living room (1 in each corner, these are wired) and as party lamps for the terrace and beach (using battery).

2 Likes

I would also like a compact battery powered led box to stick anywhere. I'm imagining a AAA powered box would be nice (would last months), with about 3 or 4 small rectangular LED lights on the panel. It would be silly not to include a button or two, so add those and now it's a very cool and useful switch with programmable status lights. Bonus points for light colour and blink control.

Obvious I suppose, but very useful for showing modes and scene status. Flashing green light means house has recently entered an unarmed/occupied state after a period of time of being unoccupied/armed. Instant communication of that info without needing to consult a phone, is the goal! :slight_smile:

Not sure why this isn't made yet, I would choose this over switches without lights, and happily pay the extra for it.

I think a device that uses rechargeable AAs (or an 18650) with a microUSB (or USB-C) port might be better than plain batteries. That way you can keep it plugged in most of the time or for most places. Unplug it for spots that cannot have a plug then charge it every once in a while.

Since this is meant to be a status device AND you want status devices to respond ASAP in case there is a change... it cannot be a very sleepy device. So battery life would be pretty short in reality. Even if it is just checking back and you set the LEDs to be dimmer when on battery.

I have been trying to figure out how to have a solar-powered status light for outdoors. Most of the time it would just look like a standard outdoor landscape light. But when something is up... The problem has been the power issues. Using parts on hand for proof of concept, I have to have a boost converter to take the 3.7v of the batteries up to the 12v of the smallest RGBW controller I have found (Zooz ZEN31). No idea how long the battery life will be at this point.

Just bought something interesting that could be used as a battery powered LED notifier, with a TOUCH of extra gear.

The GLEDOPTO Mini RGB+CCT ZigBee controller. I just got one today and I already really like it with the Generic ZigBee RGBW driver. It is powered by USB but has a nice bright LED strip with it that really is RGB+CCT (2 whites, cool and warm). White LEDs are also positioned right next to the RGB LED so blending is pretty decent. It is also cuttable at every LED.

Anyways, one of the first things I did was plug it into one of my USB battery packs. TADA! Battery powered notifications. The controller itself is SMALL also. Should be easy to hide away.

1 Like

Found https://www.amazon.com/HomeSeer-HSM200-Z-Wave-Multisensor-Indicator/dp/B00Q59PBZE and while not battery powered does the trick nicely

https://blink1.thingm.com/ is also notable

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.