Battery powered LED light with zigbee / zwave on / off

Does anyone know of a battery powered LED light that is controllable (simple on / off is fine) with zigbee / zwave?

I want some motion sensor lights for my stairs and want to have a motion sensor near the top or bottom of the stairs to trigger turning on the lights.

1 Like

I've looked before but never found one. Seems simple enough not sure why it doesn't exist.

I've been looking before as well, but didn't find such a battery-powered LED w/ Zigbee (or zWave) interface. The battery capacity for such a device will be too high, probably this is why there is no such device on the market.

1 Like

I have a zigbee/zwave front door lock that lasts 6 months. battery powered LED lights are available on Amazon. Seems like it should be possible.

1 Like

Switchbot bot and whatever light you find with a physical button not a rocker switch.

Zooz ZEN17, USB-C battery pack, LEDs.

Hmm. That might work but would be expensive. I wanted to put in 4 lights so each one would need one of these and are are kind of big and probably overkill. I wanted to avoid having to open up a bunch of drywall to wire the lights on the stairs.

You want to control each light separately?

Not necessary, but I donโ€™t want to run wires between each one. Basically I want something like this but battery powered.
Stair lighting

Depending on how good you are at soldering this is an option. 9.8ft worth of 5v LED strips and a usb powered device. You can cut the LED and just add wire between the pieces, as long as you could hide the wiring on your stairs. Add a usb battery pack and you're good to go.

https://www.amazon.com/Dimmable-Backlights-Lightify-Ambiance-Lighting/dp/B0B2C2G3LK/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=KJHKWVKW6WSD&keywords=Zigbee+led+step+light&qid=1662754021&sprefix=zigbee+led+step+light%2Caps%2C219&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVDNTWlBBWFgyUzA2JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzUxNzM1MkJNMDgxSUNRM0pXNSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDE4OTI3MzFLRU1XWk0zS0hDSSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

1 Like

Thanks, I can solder and I actually have a a similar set of lights I could use. But the Zigbee controller is in the brick that is connected to the 120v plug.

In the set I was talking about the controller is in a little tiny usb plug. I use the same set in my pantry where there is no power and 2 similar sets on my TVs with the USB on the TV powering the devices.

Two possibilities I know of, second one is like @FriedCheese2006's recommendation:

1. Centralite 3420 Nightlight Repeater with Battery (https://www.centralite.com/downloads/DataSheet-3SeriesNightLightRepeater.pdf)
    If you are just looking for on/off/dimming level... it works great. You can even MANUALLY set the color if you do not want just white. It was very frustrating that it did not work as they SAID it should (and they STILL have not corrected the DataSheet I linked)... both @bcopeland and I wrote drivers for it... for what it can do. Here is the link for that thread. But if it's limitations are OK, then it works.
  2. Like @FriedCheese2006, I would recommend a ZigBee RGBW device that can be powered by USB. I use a GLEDOPTO model (https://www.amazon.com/GLEDOPTO-Zigbee-RGBCCT-Compatible-Control/dp/B08FC6ZSF4?th=1) that is RGBCCT (so you get a wide color and white spectrum) and just have it on a USB battery. They come as a 2M (6ft) LED strip but you could cut it, coil it, however you want.

That GLEDOPTO is what I use behind my TVs. They get their power from the USB port on the TV. Easy peasy.

Yeah, I have two of them that I left the LEDs on their reel and just set them in different places with a USB battery pack. Since my Hubitats are on either a UPS or USB battery packs as well AND my overall network is on a couple UPS devices... everything will keep running for a little while at least.

I just use my GLEDOPTOs as visual status indicators. I keep debating about cutting them down and putting them into an enclosure with the battery also... but have not done it.

I have not used this, but have read about it: LED tape lights that are "smart". They make a usb powered version, which you could plug into a phone type battery block.

That appears to be basically identical to the GLEDOPTO USB one. Even looks the same in the pictures. So they are probably all made in the same factory somewhere and just branded to whoever is buying that particular production run.