Basic Lighting Rule - delay activating?

I have a hue motion sensor connected directly to HE and a hue light strip connected via the hue bridge.

Iā€™ve often noticed a very long delay between motion being detected and this specific rule activating(motion showing active in the device page), all my other motion rules are near instant (including those with hue motion sensors)..

Is there something a bit iffy about the way Iā€™ve created this rule?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated...

What driver does "Dan Bedside" use?

I was experiencing delay with lighting rules with lighting on my bridge. Took up to 30 seconds at times even though I had polling set to 10. Completely went away when I directly added the Hue bulbs to HE. A second or two at the most now. Just my personal experience. But I all fairness, I have no Zigbee battery powered devices and a dozen repeating devices. So I havent experienced the negative effect others do by adding Zigbee lighting direct.

The rule definitely looks fine as not causing problems with a delay, though I'm not sure that this is really what you want to happen (you probably want your trigger as "changed" instead of "active", then check for activity/inactivity with a conditional in the actions and only turn it off it's been inactive for a while--right now it will schedule a turn-off for 1 minute after every time motion is detected, even if it's still active from a current or previous event, but that's a topic for another post).

What's likely is that your motion sensor has a delay before reporting actions, or perhaps your bulb has a similar delay. Enabling logging for the rule triggers and actions may help you see this, or you can eliminate RM entirely and just look at live logs while you activate the motion sensor and see if any particular event seems to take a long time to appear in your logs. Alternatively, you could try something like Hubitat Simple Lighting in case you want a similar automation with RM out entirely--but if that works, it's likely you've found a bug or odd behavior staff would be interested in seeing more about.

1 Like

This pointed me in the right direction and I rewrote the rules in RM4 with the correct trigger ... all is working much faster