Barometer Trending Rise, Fall Steady

Congrats! Looks like you have a working weather system now, behaving according to the specs you laid out. Hope that does the trick, and that you won't be shy about showing off your finished dashboard once its fully developed.

The rule is Not passing along the results of the rule to Sharptools
I keep just was set as was typed into the SetVariable area

On closer inspection, I see that you have PressureTrend set up as a Local variable in RM, whereas it needs to be a Hub variable to work with the Variable Connector setup we've been discussing. Otherwise, due to variable "scoping"**, SharpTools remains ignorant of any changes made to that variable value.

Delete the Local copy of PressureTrend in RM (this may "Break the Rule" so be prepared to rebuild steps involving PressureTrend), and if necessary, recreate it in Hub Variables (but I think you already have it there).

**Recommended reading
Variables (local/hub/global): Could someone please explain?

Okay I get tiles for the Barometer Status, I made a couple Hub Variables just to test in Sharptools.
I constantly get Steady on the tiles, but I can see the Rule is getting the Rising and Falling. At one point for just 1 second, the TrendBarometer tile flashed Falling. Thus I surmise that the Rule changes the tile to Steady because the rule states to update the Pressure Old To New and at that point they are equal again.

Yes, that is to be expected, if your weather data is coming from a "live" stream rather than, say, an hourly API (via a virtual device like [PROJECT] Driver for WeatherFlow API).

To tone that down, in RM, remove the Trigger related to Pressure changes and only leave the Trigger based on an hourly (or other suitable) interval.

That was the problem, checking to quickly. I did set the trigger initially to seconds just to see the rule work. Now I set it to minutes and I saw it
set to Falling.

1 Like

Now I will need to see if the Tile updates from each of the options based on Barometer reading

1 Like

I have been monitoring the Rule, I see numbers change, mostly rise, but a couple Falling, but the tile does not change, while the Barometer tiles next to it on the dashboard does change.
Also, I notice that there are no updates happening to the device in the Events area. I would think that should be happening? As you can see, the events have not changed in 3 hours.

Not sure what needs to be changed in the rule since I don't see changes

Are you 100% sure that the Variable Connector device called 'TrendBarometer" is indeed the one tied to the Tile you're watching in SharpTools?? Because if one changes so should the other. absolutely.

No, I guess I am not totally clear on this whole Hub Variable thing. After reading the Hub Variables documentation/ instructions, I have become more confused. I am confused as to do I make 1 Hub Variable and a Separate named Connector Variable,
Or do I make 1 Hub Variable and set it in the Connector Column as a string? If that is so, then do I use that very same Connector Variable as the Variable that receives the value from the OldPressure and NewPressure as Set(Hub Variable Connector ie PressureTrend)?
I've tried a few "Connectors, but they just do not update
Again, the purpose goal is to take the OldPressure and NewPressure variables that are decimal setting them as strings based into a Hub Variable that displaystheir string result as a string in a tile
My Hub Variables that I have tried to work with are pictures below:
Can you look at this and recommend what the Hub Variable box should contain, and what Variable to use as the set to variable in the rule?

Seeing as you've created 3 versions of the hub variable during your experimentation, I'd strongly suggest deleting them all and starting from scratch. That way, you're sure to use the correct one in both Rule Machine as well as in the creation of its matching Variable Connector, and ultimately as a Tile in SharpTools.

As it stands now, I cannot help you pinpoint where the disconnect lies, so that's what I would do. This kind of try-try again approach to refining your home automation workflows is actually the best means of honing your skills and fundamental understanding of how everything works.

If after all that you remain stuck, of course, post another reply and we'll help you get squared away.

OK, Just 1 question, do I use the same HubVariable Connector as the Variable inside the Rule?

Fair question:

(a) You will create a Hub Variable (I'm calling it BaroTrend now);
(b) The RM rule will refer to that hub var directly (not its connector!) when setting its String value;
(c) In Settings > Hub Variables, you will click Create to generate a new (device) Variable Connector – also known as BaroTrend, but you can later rename it, if desired – required for passing the String value along to SharpTools;
(d) In SharpTools**, you will create a new Tile associated with the Variable Connector (called BaroTrend);
(e) The Tile will then and forever reflect the changing values of that variable.

Hope this roadmap makes sense! If I've left anything out, I'll edit this reply later.

**I'm ignoring the fact that SharpTools happens to allow for linking Tiles directly with Hub Variables, but stick to my suggestion of linking to the Connector!

Thanks so much. Will try that out

1 Like

I think I understood you, but that (BaroTrend now) was confusing, so I took that to mean just use the name as BaroTrend, In the second direction you indicated to use BaroTrend, but that I could rename it. So I did rename it.

So here is the setup i did as to what I believe that you meant.
Also, in step D) in SharpTools I will use the Variable Connector I used as BaroTrendy, correct?

So long as you are consistent!

If you want the hub variable to be called BaroTrendy, and its Connector also to be named BaroTrendy, and RM sets the hub variable called BaroTrendy, and SharpTools used a Tile linked with the Connector named BaroTrendy, then you are on the correct path.

Throw everything else away!

1 Like

If I understood you correctly you indicates to name the Hub Variable BaroTrendy and its Connector BaroTrendy, that seems to be a problem. When I try to add another BaroTrendy to Hub Variable as a Connector, the result is:

That is why in the previous post where I showed a Hub variable with one name and a connector with a different name because it wont let me use the same variable name twice

One copy of the hub variable is enough! What's important is that you acknowledge the remainder of the steps outlined above, namely that said var is being represented in RM and its connector in ST. If so, everything ought to be working at this point.

Is this your first time using Rule Machine and/or SharpTools?

1 Like

I have been using SharpTools for a month with several dashboards based on which tablet I am using.
This is my first attempt with Rules Machine. I have lots of Basic Rules already, and have at least 40 Webcore pistons running. Been using Webcore for 4 years. I have been using Actiontiles for 4 years. Moved from Smartthings due to deprecating some of the capabilities of Webcore.

The picture here is a shot of the dashboard I use for a 10 inch tablet. I have a separate dashboard for a 8 inch tablet that sits next to my Ambient Weather Console displaying additional info. that the Console doesn't display without pressing the Console buttons.
I very much appreciate all the guidance you have provided thus far.

2 Likes

@LibraSun has you pointed in the right direction. It's really important that everything is consistent and I agree with his recommendation to delete everything else that was just a test to avoid any confusion:

Hub Variable  ↔ Variable Connector (Thing) ↔ SharpTools

The Variable Connector is something of a 'proxy' for the real variable. It let's Hubitat expose the Hub Variable as a 'Thing' which you can then use in other apps like SharpTools.

So it's important that you create a single Hub Variable that has a Connector created for it and you use the same variable and its associated connector everywhere.

1 Like