Bad experience with IKEA

I am having a very bad experience with IKEA battery operated devices.
I have a SYMFONISK sound controller a SHORTCUT BUTTON and DIMMER.
For all of them the batteries last at most 36h. :sweat:
I've tried different brand batteries thinking that's where the problem is, but they all drain in the same amount of time. :angry:
I have disabled all types of logs thinking they create too much data exchange, but nothing has changed.
The other battery devices, sonoff or Chinese or philips are working for months.
What's wrong with IKEA?
For some reason do they create too much communication with HE and run down?
Three devices bought 3 devices give problems, can't be a coincidence.
It seems impossible to me that these are 3 defective items.
Need help. :pray:
Thanks

1 Like

These are garbage devices. The Symfonisk sound controller isn’t bad, but it isn’t great either. The dimmer is just a piece of junk. There’s a reason IKEA gave up on them too!

I’ve had better luck with battery life on my Symfonisk Sound Controller by instead joining it to my ConBee 2 coordinator in HA. But, button devices (which is essentially what that is) joined to HA don’t have entities, so I wasn’t able to use it with Home Assistant Devices Bridge. So the easiest thing to do was to also connect my Symfonisk speaker to HA. I don’t use my Sonos for anything but music, so for me this worked out, but it’s not a solution that will work for everyone.

The problem is the Symfonisk Sound Controller drops off the HE Zigbee network and then it drains its battery searching for the host. So this has been an acceptable solution. I do think Hubitat’s Sonos integration is better than Home Assistant’s, but I really like that sound controller, despite its problems and low quality, so I’m willing to compromise with the shortcomings of the HA Sonos integration.

2 Likes

I don't know the sound controller but regarding the button and dimmer it sounds very strange, as those devices (normally) consume power only when you use them (i.e. press a button). :thinking:

By any chance: Are you moving those devices from one room to another (or are they at a longer distance from the next repeater)? Than it could be that they keep trying to reroute the Zigbee connection...

1 Like

Do you have non-ikea repeaters in the mesh like plugs etc? Some non standard zigbee devices (quite likely for ikea stuff) tend to prefer the ikea repeaters, they tend to drain battery when only non-ikea repeaters are around.

2 Likes

I have different types of repeaters, because I have many types of outlets, I also have ikea repeaters.

thanks to all @SmartHomePrimer @Jost @bendarklighter
So , if I understand correctly.
I need to connect them to another hub to make them work?
which hub?
Or i just have to put them on the garbage and buy other battery devices?

Curious, is your ikea repeater near the problem devices?

1 Like

yes same room

No, IMHO you don't need another hub.

Please try to reconnect each of your IKEA devices while holding it near (~10 cm) the IKEA repeater which is the nearest to the position you finally want to use the device.

1 Like

Ok i will try
and you are sure they will always connect through this one?
:thinking:

Zigbee will take its own route. You can join one near a repeater, and it may connect through that repeater, but it can change routes on its own. You will have no control over the routes it changes to. Covering your home evenly with repeaters will serve you well.

Just because a device joins through a repeater, does not mean it will stay connected. They can still drop. The ConBee 2 Zigbee dongle has worked best for me with the IKEA Symfonisk sound controller, and there are many reports of the same positive experience. I don’t find many positive experiences with joining these particular IKEA devices directly with HE, and my own experience mirrors that too.

1 Like

Of course not, but...

Normally Zigbee devices change routes only when there are problems. And as the IKEA repeaters are very stable I (so my personal experience) had never problems after installing them.

1 Like

No, sorry this isn't correct. I can see my devices will change routes between two different routers (one only 3 feet from the device) and yet the devices never drop, the router never drops, and none of the devices joined through the router drop, or when they change routes they do not drop.

The routers I'm using and their location have not changed. The location of the Symfonisk controller has not changed. The only change was the Zigbee coordinator. The channel is also the same. When I added the ConBee 2, I changed the channel of the HE hub the Symfonisk controller was previously joined with, and set the ConBee to the same channel (15) that was previously in use with the HE hub.

1 Like

Ok now i need other device NON IKEA to do the same thing
The button in place of shortcut is SONOFF BUTTON
For the Symfonisk i need suggestions...

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.