Bad Amazon review on the C8 because user can't access the internals of backups

The fact that some people think because parts of HE are open source that they have a right to look at the code and when they find out they can't they get a little nuts and make baseless accusations regarding security and what not.... Makes you shake your head..

1 Like

I know... I intend to post a stern response once I get approval for my latest update to Google Home and Amazon Alexa.... :wink:

2 Likes

Don't to that! @bobbyd 's eyes can only roll so much before he gets a detached retina... :joy:

1 Like

This is exactly the situation in this case. The Amazon reviewer wished to selectively recover a subset of the backed up H2 database (user space drivers and apps). In their opinion, being told by @bravenel and @mike.maxwell that Hubitat only permitted the entire database to be restored locked them out of their data.

The thread in question begins with this post:

And here’s the Amazon review:

13 Likes

Yeah they gave him the instructions to get his data safely by using an existing hub that would be taken off line only for a few minutes while he got his data, but since he couldn't do it the way "he" wanted to, he threw a tantrum. Pretty normal for that kind of user.

5 Likes

Oh that thread.

:+1: :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

I feel I may have been a little too generous...

1 Like

If you thought it was just you who believed that "devs don't care," then you should post it. If you thought it was just you who was ridiculed by someone for expressing your concerns, then you should flag it. If you thought the world is perfect, then you may want to think it over, because nothing is. But I can tell you that one thing everyone at Hubitat has in common, is that we all care about the product, we all care about our users and we all care about delivering the best platform on the market using individual resources that each of us has to offer.

26 Likes

Well one part that rings true is there are memory leak(s) after nightly backups that require my hub to be rebooted after about 10 days and it has not really been acknowledged nor addressed by support. Whether its in the hub or the os itself remains to be determined.

3 Likes

Except @gopher.ny.... He huddles in the corner and drinks all day... (not that I'd blame him)

3 Likes

See Bobby? Just read through your own post. Maybe I am too sensitive but I find it a bit aggressive. Normally one would expect a milder language especially from a support person. The reason I brought this review up is that I feel it is very difficult to report an issue with HE that someone would actually look at. At best I get a superficial explanation to what I am very sure is a bug but without anyone actually trying to reproduce it. I understand your statement that you care about the product but it would be helpful to support it with actual actions.

If you post and tag bug it most certainly gets looked at by the devs (@bcopeland, @bravenel, @gopher.ny etc) If they can reproduce it it gets fixed. I mean they're not going to give anyone step by step status updates. Usually you will get "Yep, can reproduce it, will be a fix next update). None of the devs are dismissing it

4 Likes

I somewhat agree with this. It has been noticeably worse recently since the C-8 was released. Understandably along with that launch I am sure there is a lot more going on behind the scenes that we do not see. So I have been letting it play out to see if things will return to my perception of "normal" eventually.

The challenge I am sure is also vetting out all of the "bugs" people report, since 90%+ of the time it is just user error. But actual legit problems I have found and reported only to get absolutely no response, not even an acknowledgement, even with multiple replies. Same with other users reporting issues that cannot be solved, even with tagging people multiple times I have seen threads goes unresolved and left with no response.

Also put it in full perspective. The cost of the hub itself in relation to the level of support offered. I think it is pretty good and I do not take that for granted. For example I have a robot vacuum that has some pretty blatant software issues. I once was able to get them to push me a firmware update which fixed some things and broke some others. Now last time I tried to resolve it further I had to jump through a bunch of hoops to create a case with videos and pictures etc... Then a senior support person was supposed to call me (at random). There is no avenue to call them directly. If I missed the call they would try again. Well, I missed the call 3 times and they gave up, so I would probably have to call back again and sit on hold again.

Also have a Samsung microwave that broke under warranty, got repaired, and now has the same problem again 1 yr later and is now outside the only 1 yr warranty (terrible for this type of appliance). I cannot even imagine the nightmare it would be trying to get Samsung to do the right thing and help me get it fixed. So it sits there waiting for me to try and fix it as a constant reminder to never buy garbage Samsung appliances again.

9 Likes

That shoe doesn't fit anyone here. It is inevitable that some users get crosswise with us, despite our best intentions. We don't tend to mince words, but rather to be honest about what is going to happen or not happen. Some user requests are unreasonable, undoable, or whatever, and some people take umbrage that we tell them that. We do our best to be polite about it. The fact is that we all put in seven days a week responding to users, implementing a large portion of the requests made, doing our best to track down and fix any bugs that are reported, etc.

This particular user had an unreasonable expectation, and would not accept 'no' for an answer, but rather invented a notion that we were at great fault for not seeing things the way he insisted they had to be seen.

If you have a bug to report, please do so. If it is actually a bug, we'll do our best to find and fix it. If it isn't a bug, hopefully we can help you find the cause of the problem so you can move forward.

23 Likes

16 posts were split to a new topic: Memory drop after backup

I'm willing to bet we all have been at one time or another. The first time it happened to me I was a bit po'd, but I got the help I needed. When I cooled off a bit and realized how many requests they probably get (not just in the community, but in the form of tickets, etc.) I realized it was not at all personal, just a byproduct of their situation. Some people just have way too thin skin or expect concierge level service for little or no cost. The world just doesn't work that way.

10 Likes

Spot on.

And some of this is also true for community members. One person's notion of being efficiently terse is another person's notion being of rudely brusque.

6 Likes

You might find it not to your liking, but rest assured that there is no aggressiveness or malice behind @bobbyD's response.

Some of us would find it matter of fact and to the point.

There's a post by @lcw731 a few below yours that provides an excellent perspective on such situations.

7 Likes

That's at least a 2-way street, if not a full blown 4-way roundabout.

There is a HUGE amount of time and energy spent testing and giving feedback ....even if it is sometimes dismissed... as - "just Hubitat user teething that they'll get over"

Not having that synergy would be costly, for both sides of the equation.

Poor chap would need oxygen if he used smartthings

3 Likes