Backup Flow?

Let me say it a different way, perhaps.. and as I said, it's more a peeve with Node-Red than this wonderful backup offering..

I've always had a disparate Home Automation System. I used to have 4 different manufacturers of Hubs all interconnected. Then I threw them all out to use Hubitat (plus a Lutron bridge) -- then my system GREW. Homebridge, Node-Red, HubConnect NodeJS Server, etc. I'm back to a pretty large array of tools.

I think it's great! :smiley: I think at a certain point, 2nd Hubitat Hubs and NodeJS servers become "normal" growth. I'm just really sad that the power of Node-Red isn't very easy to leap into. It's a lot to learn, just to get ONE light to turn on. A First Flow is usually a giant step. Heck, just learning that double-click is the secret, is hard to discover LOL

I think it's likely I'm "Complaining" about something completely off topic. :smiley: Please return to your regular programming :smiley:

I had pieced together this flow which saves the important files on every restart of Node-RED

I started, but hadn't finished, a script to clean out flows older than a certain point so it doesn't clog up disk space.

Anyways, this has been working great and has saved me a few times :slight_smile:

(side note: yay for a Node-RED sub category!)

1 Like

Not a sub-category. As of now, it is just a tag (can be added to a post in any category).

meh, semantics... i can easily see all threads with NR now... i'll take what I can get, anyone can call it what they want :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for this. I found and used it today. Now backing up my flows/creds/settings.

Question: is your msg.payload = restarted something you do, or a system command. I searched but there's a whole stack of discussion about restarting node red which clouded my results.

I don't remember why that is there to be honest.. it doesn't appear to be actually part of any decisions.

Maybe it was just there from wherever I got the flow from.

For one of my residential projects I have an HE and RPi4 running NR. One of my concerns is SD corruption so have a low profile usb drive plugged into the RPi and am running rpi-clone in cron. It clones the disk every month to the usb drive.

If there is an issue I should be able to boot from the USB drive if needed. Another thing I did on the RPi was to create a simple bash script that uses wget to pull backups from the HE hub and store them in a backup dir - rotating the backups as needed. That is running in cron as well.

I do this for remote RPi backups:

I would do rpi-clone if I wanted local backups to usb, though.

1 Like

@morningz I'm using a raspberry pi and no disk. (trying to get network storage to mount but struggling) Where would the backup flow you talk about in 25 store the three files? I'm not a programmer so I am going slow with the stuff I don't understand completely...

You define where it goes in the "file node". This seemed like a handy location when running NR with the Home Assistant integration.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.