Backup Flow?

Yep, that worked, but there are so many odd Nodes, it's pretty useless.

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 10.19.51 AM

just add to your pallette

yes, I know HOW.. it's just more work than I want to do ONLY to explore a concept :smiley:

Who are you calling an "Odd Node"??? :grinning:

You need the palettes for the cheerio-function & string nodes. The rest are for nodes that I added to customize for my needs.

• Cronplus sets the timer to run daily
  • Join-message and join-config is for notifications using Join that is part of Tasker on Android
  • Dropbox-out is obviously for Dropbox so if you aren't going to use that, you don't need that palette.
1 Like

of course you do sorry if I implied anything else :slight_smile:

I guess, in the back of my brain, I started that other Node-Red topic to have a base level of Imported Nodes that would allow US.. the Hubitat Community to share concepts via Imports... so that new Node-Red users aren't lost getting NR to be functional vs seeing/understanding Flows.

I can share my flow that backs up all of the important Node Red files nightly if anyone wants to see it but its got a couple of Odd Nodes too. :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

I personally don't have a problem with the Odd Nodes thing.. I know how to find them, import them, etc. But it's a peeve with Node-Red I guess, that THEY haven't created a far more useful (to noobs) installation. Yea, I know WE would have to add the Hubitat palette, but those 6 new nodes to be imported might discourage some.

Only if the end goal wasn’t visible or desired. When one is importing a flow/sequence, both those conditions are generally met.

I know when @april.brandt and I were sharing flows, we both added nodes necessary to get imported sequences to work.

Let me say it a different way, perhaps.. and as I said, it's more a peeve with Node-Red than this wonderful backup offering..

I've always had a disparate Home Automation System. I used to have 4 different manufacturers of Hubs all interconnected. Then I threw them all out to use Hubitat (plus a Lutron bridge) -- then my system GREW. Homebridge, Node-Red, HubConnect NodeJS Server, etc. I'm back to a pretty large array of tools.

I think it's great! :smiley: I think at a certain point, 2nd Hubitat Hubs and NodeJS servers become "normal" growth. I'm just really sad that the power of Node-Red isn't very easy to leap into. It's a lot to learn, just to get ONE light to turn on. A First Flow is usually a giant step. Heck, just learning that double-click is the secret, is hard to discover LOL

I think it's likely I'm "Complaining" about something completely off topic. :smiley: Please return to your regular programming :smiley:

I had pieced together this flow which saves the important files on every restart of Node-RED

I started, but hadn't finished, a script to clean out flows older than a certain point so it doesn't clog up disk space.

Anyways, this has been working great and has saved me a few times :slight_smile:

(side note: yay for a Node-RED sub category!)

1 Like

Not a sub-category. As of now, it is just a tag (can be added to a post in any category).

meh, semantics... i can easily see all threads with NR now... i'll take what I can get, anyone can call it what they want :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for this. I found and used it today. Now backing up my flows/creds/settings.

Question: is your msg.payload = restarted something you do, or a system command. I searched but there's a whole stack of discussion about restarting node red which clouded my results.

I don't remember why that is there to be honest.. it doesn't appear to be actually part of any decisions.

Maybe it was just there from wherever I got the flow from.

For one of my residential projects I have an HE and RPi4 running NR. One of my concerns is SD corruption so have a low profile usb drive plugged into the RPi and am running rpi-clone in cron. It clones the disk every month to the usb drive.

If there is an issue I should be able to boot from the USB drive if needed. Another thing I did on the RPi was to create a simple bash script that uses wget to pull backups from the HE hub and store them in a backup dir - rotating the backups as needed. That is running in cron as well.

I do this for remote RPi backups:

I would do rpi-clone if I wanted local backups to usb, though.

1 Like

@morningz I'm using a raspberry pi and no disk. (trying to get network storage to mount but struggling) Where would the backup flow you talk about in 25 store the three files? I'm not a programmer so I am going slow with the stuff I don't understand completely...

You define where it goes in the "file node". This seemed like a handy location when running NR with the Home Assistant integration.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.