Automations not working after migrating to C7

Yesterday I got tired of waiting for the Hub Protection service, and I migrated all my Zwave and Zigbee devices over from C5 to C7, well all but three or four I haven't gotten around to doing.

I have noticed that while nearly all of my devices have good connectivity when testing from the devices page, almost none of my automations are working, does not seem to matter if they are all zwave, all zigbee, mixed, etc. Do I have to do anything within each app to make things work again?

Unclear how you did the migration. Did you exactly follow Bruce Ravenel’s (@bravenel) instructions? I did, and everything worked.

The problem is that the DNI changes during the migration, and Bruce’s method is a clever way to fix the automations by changing the restored backup’s DNI.

1 Like

Nope. I did not follow this. I guess I will have to open each automation and clear and reselect devices? What's the best way to salvage this now?

It also does not seem to explain why Zigbee based automations are still not functioning.

You are right about the Zigbee. I only have one Zigbee device (SmartThings MultiSensor letting us know if the Patio Refrigerator’s door is open) and 2 Zigbee repeaters, so I’m not much help on that.

If you read Bruce’s procedure and think about it, what it is really doing is moving the DNI for your brought-forward backup out of the way, then substituting the newly-paired devices into the missing device. The trick is that the intermediate (out of the way) device numbers have a prepended A (B or C would work, too - must be a hex digit so it won’t barf the network) that moves it above the highest paired real device.

When I create a new zigbee only automation and trigger it, it works fine.

I checked the logs for an existing rule that is not working. The hub recognizes that the sensor has been opened, but no rule is being triggered.

Ok, then following the modified version of Bruce’s procedure, as I discuss above, will fix it. Key first step is to get the DNI in the restored backup devices out of the way at unique hex addresses above your newly paired real devices.

I followed Bruce’s method about a month ago.

The only zigbee sensor that I have that trigger automations are my five ST water sensors and I haven’t tested them since the migration. I just dropped my kitchen sink sensor on a wet paper towel and the RM triggered - no issues.

With some reminders from others I have solved this. I'm just going to rebuild my rules etc. With new devices after adding them to this hub. My zigbee rules work fine, but I didn't realize that the one I was testing with had a missing zwave device so it could not even run. Fixed that and it seems to be much better. Now, if only I could figure out private boolean.

2 Likes