Automating a manual Humidistat with this relay? thoughts

The remotec seems a bit overpriced. The zooz zen16 has 3 contacts and costs about half of that. I believe it would do the same thing??

Is your HVAC system controlled by hubitat also? How will it know to "engage" only when the blower is running?

I've been wanting to do something with my system also...It's on the todo list.

The HVAC is not controlled by hubitat. But the HVAC signals when to engage. The humidistat (or this switch) would decide if conditions are right to turn on humidifier.

So it would not run if blower is not on, even if the zwave switch is on.
And it will not run if blower is on but my humidity sensors says not to run (controlling this switch).

The zen 16 is $55 on amazon.CA, and I'm consused on how to wire since I only have two wires connecting to my humidistat. My suggested solution I understand the wiring.

Thanks for the info. I'm afraid to mess with mine...Could you take some before and after photos of the process when you do it? :grinning:

Also, this app is very handy. I use the value for a rule that runs a stand alone humidifier in my guitar room in the winter.

Ya, I'm afraid to mess with mine, but I really want to! :slight_smile:

Pics won't be exciting, but yes I'll document it with pics.

Thanks for the Humidity Calculator link. I'll check it out. See if its valid for our cold Canadian winters. :slight_smile: :cold_face:

I think I was making this overly complicated in my head....It drove me crazy last winter having a "smart house" and yet having to go downstairs and adjust this thing everyday.

This is what mine looks like.

So i should be able to just put a dry contact relay here correct?

In the summer I could just leave the dial in the "off"position, and then in the winter I would turn it to "max" and then let my contact relay decide when to "engage"

Sorry I know I'm basically repeating what you posted, I just thought it was going to be way more involved than this.

Just reading this thread and thinking. I would be inclined to put the current manual/mechanical humistat in series with the Z-Wave controlled relay. Then set the mechanical to a %age that is just above what you would ever want.
This way if the Z-Wave goes off the reservation, the mechanical thermostat will stop the humidity from going really high.

2 Likes

Yup, that sounds like a good backup just in case. I like it.

For most whole house humidifiers there is an even easier solution. Just plug the whole house thermostat into a zwave outlet. Then set the unit to 'aways on, or maximum humidity'.

That's what I did. I live in an ultra-humid coastal area, so the dehumidifier is likely to be running most of the time. I did want to be able to adjust the setting based on outside temps which are volatile --varying 30-40 degrees F all winter.

Using an old chart from Aprilaire, I set a global variable on a dashboard tile for the 'Forecast Outside Temp' then RM sets the humidity range on-off targets for the outlet.

The house is large and the dehumidifier struggles to keep up since most days are humid, even in winter, so I din't feel it necessary to add the complexity of pulling weather data and calculating indoor humidity settings on-the-fly. Though I do have @dylan.c 's post in my bookmarks and gave it serious consideration

Thrilled to have found this thread, because I also would like to control my whole house dehumidifier via zwave, but in parallel with a wired dehumidistat powered from the dehumidifier controls. Noodled through this enough to conclude a Zooz Zen16 would probably do it, but have not figured out the details...

If anyone has figured out the wiring setup and Hubitat rules for adding a Zooz Zen 16 in parallel to control a Santa Fe whole house dehumidifier with a DEH 3000R De/humidistat, any info you can share would be MUCH appreciated.

My dehumidification system is standalone (not interconnected to heating/cooling), and has no dampers or float switches to wire in, and the dehumidifier compressor should never run without the fan also being on.

The ideal operation would be the Zen 16 sends a signal to the the controls on the dehumidifier to go on/off based on the average readings of a number of zwave sensors connected to Hubitat - for example on at 52%, off at 48%. Then as a backup, if the de/humidistat wired remote sensor reports 54%, the de/humidistat controller causes the dehumidifier controls to turn the unit on, or if someone just decides they manually want to turn it on, they can do so from the de/humidistat. I realize the Hubitat sensors and the de/humidistat remote sensor may be calibrated differently and will make the appropriate adjustments.

Currently the dehumidifier is controlled with a zwave plug that goes on / off based on the average of a series of zwave sensors. There are two issues with this setup:

• If I get hit by a bus the chances that the smart controls get deactivated are VERY high, and then the dehumidifier would not run, and this could be bad news in my climate (even though my crawl space is sealed, insulated and watertight). So I need a failsafe "dumb" system backup.
  • I am concerned the repeated hard power on/offs from the zwave plug are bad for the compressor. My settings use a fairly wide band so the unit does not cycle and it is usually at least 8-10 hours between run times if I just let it do it's thing based on humidity. But I still think that if controlled via the dehumidifier built in controls the fan operates for a few minutes after the compressor shuts off. If this were working, I would feel better about revising my Hubitat rules to concentrate the dehumidifier run times to the very low overnight power rates, because with such a setting it could go on shortly after it last went off.

The terrific thing about the DEH 3000R is both the de/humidistat and the remote sensor are powered from the dehumidifier controls and do not require batteries. It is also the only de/humidistat I could find that can be set up to operate based on the readings of the remote sensor only, so I can install the de/humidistat in the living space but run the dehumidifier based on the readings from the crawl space.

Dehumidifier controls wiring:
DEH 3000R wiring:
Santa Fe Diagram for wiring the two together:

It looks like the humidistat is just a simple "switch" between the +24 and DEHU terminals on the dehumidifier. You should already have a wire on each of these terminals and will just need to add a second wire to each one. The new wires will run to each terminal of one of the relays on the Zen16. Polarity is not important. Then the dehumidifier will run when either the Zen16 or the DEH3000 commands the unit to run.

As an added bonus, you can jumper the +24 from the relay to the "+" terminal on the Zen16 and run a third wire from the Zen16's "-" terminal to the COM terminal on the dehumidifier. That will power the Zen16 right from the dehumidifier's 24V transformer and you can skip using the USB brick.

1 Like

@dylan.c Thank you for confirming this!! I ordered a Zen16 for this. Now I need to acquire a DEH3000R. I'll report back after install (or more likely during install with questions...).
Very much appreciate the help.

1 Like

@dylan.c or others who are versed in this?
I've acquired both a DEH 3000R and a Zen16 Zwave relay, and am ready to wire them up this weekend. I've done a wiring diagram which I think follows your instructions, which I've pasted below.

1. Did I properly interpret the correct way to wire this?
  2. Will this setup ensure that whenever the compressor runs the fan also runs? I think the dehumidifier wiring diagram indicates that but I am definitely NOT sure about that.
  3. Supposedly the fan is supposed to continue to run for a few seconds or minutes after the compressor stops, but not sure if that is controlled inside the dehumidifier or in the humidistat.
  4. If the fan running when the compressor is on is part of the dehumidifier wiring, would adding a wire from the dehumidifier fan terminal to one side of relay 2, and another 24v jumper from relay 1 to relay 2 allow me to run the fan only via Hubitat? Is there any downside to doing this?
  5. Since this is all 24v, is 18ga wire from the Dehumidifier to the Zen16 appropriate (same as from the dehumidifier to the humidistat)?
  6. Do I have the correct expected color of wires from the dehumidifier to the Zen16?

Thanks in advance for any help and/or suggestions on anything I may have missed.

I'm on vacation at the moment, but your diagram seems fine. Based on my recollection of the wiring diagram, the fan should run anytime the compressor does. Not sure about manual fan-only control without looking into it a bit more. Wiring color doesn't really matter in this case...

1 Like

Ok... more answers...

1. Yes. The fan is energized anytime the compressor runs by the unit's internal wiring.

2. Hard to tell for sure from this wiring diagram, but it seems like the fan will stop immediately when the compressor stops. Although there could be an interal timer connected to the fan relay coil that isn't shown. I've read at least a few articles that recommend NOT running the fan after the compressor stops. The reason is that any condensation still remaining on the evaporator coil would get reintroduced into the environment. That was specifically for a split system AC unit, though. Dehumidifier control may be slightly different.

3. Yes, adding that wire would allow independent operation of the fan via hubitat. The "jumper" should be from the 24V side of the relay (red in your diagram). In a large-ish space, intermittent fan operation should help circulate the air and keep the space humidity relatively consistent from one end to the other, especially if the space is particularly "stagnant." I wouldn't recommend continuous operation because of the wear and tear on the fan. If you want continuous air circulation, I would buy a cheap(-er) fan and run that. Easier and less expensive to replace when it wears out.

4. Wire size has more to do with the current flow (amps) than voltage, but 18 ga. Is standard for thermostat wiring and should be fine in this case.

1 Like

@dylan.c : THANK YOU!
re 3. The directions with the DEH 3000 state that even if no dehumidification is called for, the fan will run for 10 minutes every three hours. I don't think there is any way to turn that off. Although that is probably more than needed, the DEH 3000 is made by the same company who makes the dehumidifier, so I'll leave well enough alone.
4. I agree - if I need to move air more than the 10 min every 3 hours, I will install separate, cheap fans controlled by a smart switch. Right now I don't think that is needed.

Just to confirm - do you mean that instead of as shown, the red wire should go from the Dehumid 24v to the Zen16 red, then the jumper as shown, so there are 2 wires in red and only one wire in R1? (trying to learn here, so if that is correct, is it because with the way I drew it the relay will cut power to the Zen16 when the relay is off?)
or
Do I have it drawn correct or it does not matter?

Thanks

1 Like

Your diagram looks fine to power the ZEN from the dehumidifier and to allow dual dehumidifier control using the DEH-3000 or the ZEN16.

If you also want fan-only control, you'll need to add another "red" wire from the 24V terminal of the dehumidifier to one side of R2. This could either be an entirely new wire or a jumper from the R1 terminal with the red wire. At some point it gets hard to fit more wires in the terminal and easier to use a wire nut, Wago connector, etc. Then add a new wire from the second side of R2 to the FAN terminal on the dehumidifier. Then R2 will control the fan.

1 Like

Finally got this Zen16 installed in parallel with the DEH-3000R control, got the humidity monitors installed (after testing), got the rule written and all is functioning.

@dylan.c : THANK YOU!!! Could not have done this without your help.

An interesting aside - I used the salt slurry in a sealed plastic bag to test my humidity sensors, and they were all within 0.4% of each other except the Abode branded one, which reads about 10% low. So I will probably stop using the Abode branded one. Then I set the sensors in the crawl, including setting one of them right next to the DEH-3000R wired remote sensor (that I could not include in the salt test because it is wired). I found the DEH-3000R remote sensor also reads about 10% low. I also found that no matter how I arrange the sensors, one part of my crawl stays about 5% higher RH than the balance, so a future project is to figure out the most energy efficient way to get some air circulation. Will either extend the duct from the ducted dehumid for more circulation only when the dehumid is on anyway, or install some fans...

1 Like

I won't take all the credit... others on this forum have certainly helped me along so that I can pay it forward. Now it's your turn!

And this is the part of automation that really gets me interested... solving real problems!

1 Like

I've been using the above setup for over 2 weeks, and at first it was working great.
Today I noticed the dehumidifier seems to have been running for a LONG time, so I checked my Hubigraph charts, and it has been running non-stop for 3 days.

My rule is simply no longer working and I do not understand why. I believe my rule should have turned off the dehumidifier as soon as any of the sensors reported 50% or under. Even if somehow the rule missed a senor, it should have turned off the next time any sensor reported 50% or under. This is the rule:

I've checked the sensors and during this three days it has been running non-stop, the sensors that trigger the app all have multiple events on their device events page that report humidity under 50% AND list my RM rule as a trigger app.
It is wired up parallel with the DEH-3000R, so that could also be a culprit, but I don't think it is for three reasons:

1. the DEH-3000R has an internally programmed range of 3% below it's setpoint, but is currently at 14% below it's setpoint
  2. I should be able to manually turn the dehumidifier off from the DEH-3000R, but when I do it does not turn off, indicating the DEH-3000R is not what is calling for the dehumidifier to be on, (ie HE vis the Zen16 Relay is calling for it to be on)
  3. The Zen16 Relay for the Dehumid off/on is showing as on via devices and on the dashboard, which in my testing it did not do when the dehumidifier was turned on via the DEH-3000R.

So I have concluded HE/Zen16 is controlling the dehumidifier being on.

To turn it off, I manually clicked the relay off via the device detail page.
But what caused this and how do I avoid it in the future? I thought the < = portion of the rule, along with three separate sensors, would act as a failsafe to turn this thing off, but that did not happen. Where did I go wrong?

ETA: Is it possible the Zen16 dropped off of my Zwave network, and did not reconnect until I pressed off on the device page? Is there a way to check this? I'm asking because when I first went to the log to troubleshoot, I did not see the Zen16 parent or the child relay's listed. They were not listed until I pressed off on the device page, and the log only shows two entries - nothing for the previous 3 days.