Automatic cycle of Water Shutoff Valve

I recall awhile back (maybe a few months ago when I joined) seeing a post from a user with a rule (or an app) that regularly exercised a water shut off valve and confirmed open and close state. I'd like to set this up as well to both verify that my Dome is connected and to confirm correct operation automatically on a weekly basis. I searched but couldn't find the post. Hopefully the original poster (or someone better than me at searching :slight_smile:) will be able to point me to the posting. Thanks!!

I don't know about all that, but @Navat604 and @ritchierich regularly power cycle their Water-Cop water valve.

2 Likes

I have a rule that cycles the power on my watercop when my hub restarts. I had noticed that the valve lost connection when this happened and the power cycle fixes it. It’s been great otherwise.

I do the same as @ritchierich because my watercorp valves lost connection due to firmware. The newer Watercorp valve doesn't have this issue but quite expensive.
You shouldn't be having issue with Dome valve. Doesn't hurt to have a rule to cycle the valve once a week though.

@Tim-in-Ca I posted this in another discussion a while back. It is what I have setup to cycle my Water Cop water valve and provide feedback if it has an issue.

4 Likes

@lelynch. That’s exactly it! I couldn’t find it through search. Will be very helpful to insure my Dome is in working order. Much appreciated!

1 Like

@lelynch So, I just got around to setting up the water valve maintenance rule and have a question. I'd prefer to set up the rule to run on the first Saturday of the month at 1AM, I could only find an option to run on a specific day of the month … maybe I'm missing something. Is this possible as a trigger? Thanks!

As far as I can see, it's not an option. But we can ask @bravenel if this is possible in some way.

A periodic schedule should work for this.

3 Likes

Another thing you may consider is setting a refresh rule using run custom action in rule machine. This will create an event so you can report on x hour's of inactivity. I use Device Watchdog to monitor if it is inactive, but that also could be done in rule machine. This way you would know soon if the device became unavailable sooner then the weekly test.

(I just did this last night, so the refresh events below are showing my test, obviously not reflective of my 5am refresh schedule.)

2 Likes

@jns @Brandon thanks for the help and suggestions. I’ll try these when I’m done working a little later.

2 Likes

I looked there and I just didn't see it. I worked all day and I'm tired.....that's going to be my excuse. :upside_down_face: Thanks @JNS

2 Likes