Auto update

It would be great if there was an option to auto update.

Are you talking about firmware or apps/drivers?

If you are talking about firmware then NO THANK YOU!
I have been a victime of auto updating firmware before on ST and one of the main reasons for choosing HE was because you can decide when to update (or not at all)

As for in-built apps/drivers, they are updated as part of the firmware.

If you are talking about community apps/drivers then we currently don’t have the facility to auto update, the only thing we can do is tell you (by whatever means) that an update is available.

Andy

4 Likes

I am another voice for not having automatic updates. It's really critical for me to be able to control when my environment might change (and thus possibly require manual intervention). The whole idea (for me) of home automation is to automate processes so they continue to happen when I am not around. If it were a selectable option so that I could "opt out" I would be OK with that.

2 Likes

Maybe the ability to set a time for update but then again you can update pretty much whenever you want so it's an option we can have but not sure how popular.

I suppose an option to auto-update firmware would be nice for those that want it.

But the real question is, why would you want this?

I agree with others that not auto-updating is one thing that makes HE a better home automation platform than ST.

Just as an example, I’m out of town for a few days. I’ll update to the newest firmware when I get home and can troubleshoot any issues that might come up.

2 Likes

At the very least it should check for updates of new firmware and then notify you that one is available. I would however, be in favor of a option to enable automatic updates. I would much rather get updates ASAP to take advantage of any fixes or new features. I can then report back on any issues that are found so that they can be resolved. This is one of the few devices or software products that I actually need to manage updates for.

Updates are fine. NEVER have anything auto update! Good work Hubitat.

2 Likes

I believe that's the way it behaves now. The notification is the icon in the corner of the Settings page, as I recall.

4 Likes

What happens if you are away for the weekend, an automatic update occurs and you hub doesn’t complete the update but reboots and doesn’t come back up properly?

This happened to me once on ST.
None of my automations worked for two days!.

Not good

Andy

It might be nice to add an option for an SMS Text message notification when a new firmware is released. However, Hubitat is now sending email notifications when new firmware is available. Isn’t that enough?

4 Likes

...which, with IFTTT, can trigger a virtual switch, which changes the mode to 'Christmas Morning' and flashes every light in my house.:laughing:

3 Likes

I didn't realize that it already had a notification method. That is great! I still like the option of auto update but sounds like its not a community favorite.

Sorry to rain on the parade, but we aren't going anywhere near an auto-update feature for Hubitat Elevation. It is our opinion that there is no good way to do auto-updates, as anyone who used other home automation platforms can attest. The whole idea of setting times, etc, is just complexity piled on top of a bad idea. So this is not happening.

The web interface to the hub provides an indicator when an update is available. We announce new releases here in the community, and through our email newsletter. Unless you have some specific bug or issue that you are waiting for, there is no reason to be in a hurry to update.

14 Likes

+1 for NOT auto updating.
I think the existing notifications work well. :+1:

No auto-update was one of the features that drew me to Hubitat. I never want it. My sincere thanks to you for spending no time on making it happen. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Great job on not doing that. :+1: