Auto-Discovery of Tasmota devices (with custom code)

Tasmota device setup as Tasmota - Universal Parent/Generic Component Switch.
Since I first started with Hubitat I was unable to get the app to discover the device devices broadcast address. I had to manually put the address in the device setup. On my network its tough to get a device to accept a DHCP reservation. That said I set up a DHCP reservation for the device which didnt take place until a couple of days after I tried to force it in the device using IPAddress on the console. With reboots it did not force the device to come up with that reserved IP address. Some time last night I suppose when the DHCP Reservation expired it finally took the reserved address. Thus in the device there was no set Device IP Address. Hubitat never discovered that the devices new address.
So I am wondering how Auto Discovery works.

This is a custom driver and app you’re using, correct?

I think its a driver that markus wrote.
driver : v1.0.2.0613T

You might get more visibility if you ask for help in the dev’s release thread (assuming this is the one you’re talking about):

1 Like

How does Auto Discovery work with a WIFI device? I am not sure if its that driver ( v1.0.2.0613T).
I have had to input the IP Address in all my other devices. This was the first time using the Parent/Child driver. When I first set up the device it picked up the IP Address assigned by the router. I reserved a specific address and could not get the device to take it. I tried on the console and got the following {"IPAddress1":"192.168.1.109 (192.168.1.54)"}. Even with a power cycle I couldn't force it to take the address.

Tasmota device compatibility isn’t built into hubitat.

Community developers like @markus create their own solutions and then can share with others.

That’s why I suggested you ask your question in the thread the developer created for their custom code.

Tagging the developer with the @ symbol is another way to get their attention.

1 Like

OK I will do it.

Can you point me to that thread please?

See the link in my post above :slight_smile:.

You can set a fixed IP to use for matching incoming traffic to HE in Preferences. Post screenshots of your device page (including the data section) and check if you have incoming messages about unmatched devices. It would also be good to know what does not work/what does work, more exactly.

Markus
I set a fixed IP for my other devices but when I configured this device with Parent/Child it picked up the DHCP assigned address of the router based on the name. The problem is I reserved a specific address and I could not get the device to accept it even rebooting power cycling it etc.. It kept picking up the original address even rebooting the device.
Then sometime yesterday maybe when the DCHP lease expired it got the device DHCP reserved address. And the Hubitat device still had the old address even tho there was none listed under Preferences/Device IP Address. My question is how did it originally get the router assigned IP address before i reserved a specific IP address? Was it auto discovery?

It got it from a status message that was routed to the driver based on the MAC address of the device. What is the DNI showing now? If it's a MAC address, the IP should be updated on next checkin, if it's an IP in hex, you need to force the new IP to be set by using that setting in the Preferences.

HE

Current States

• driver : v1.0.2.0613T
  • ip : 192.168.1.109
  • ipLink : 192.168.1.109
  • lastCheckin : 2020-07-08 16:16:05
  • module : [18:Generic]
  • notPresentCounter : 0
  • presence : present
  • restoredCounter : 1
  • templateData : {"NAME":"Generic","GPIO":[255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255],"FLAG":15,"BASE":18}

Device

Shop_AC

Program Version 8.3.1(tasmota-he)
Build Date & Time 2020-05-20T22:27:21
Core/SDK Version 2_7_1/2.2.2-dev(38a443e)
Uptime 4T01:42:35
Flash write Count 161 at 0xF4000
Boot Count 24
Restart Reason Software/System restart
Friendly Name 1 Tasmota - Universal Parent (192.
AP1 SSId (RSSI) KRAUSHOUSE (72%, -64 dBm)
Hostname Shop_AC
IP Address 192.168.1.54
Gateway 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
DNS Server 75.75.75.75
MAC Address 60:01:94:F5:67:93
MQTT Host
MQTT Port 1883
MQTT User DVES_USER
MQTT Client DVES_F56793
MQTT Topic tasmota
MQTT Group Topic 1 cmnd/tasmotas/
MQTT Full Topic cmnd/tasmota/
MQTT Fallback Topic cmnd/DVES_F56793_fb/
Emulation Hue Bridge
mDNS Discovery Disabled
ESP Chip Id 16082835
Flash Chip Id 0x144051
Flash Size 1024kB
Program Flash Size 1024kB
Program Size 581kB
Free Program Space 420kB
Free Memory 25kB

Tasmota 8.3.1 by Theo Arends & for Hubitat by markus-li

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.