Auto Cancel Alert from HSM Custom Rule?

I have a custom rule in HSM set to alert me if one of two doors has been left open for more than 5 minutes. The alert works great, but it does not reset once it has been triggered and resolved. I want to be able to: (1) figure out which door triggered the alert; and (2) reset/cancel the HSM alert once that door has been closed, so that the HSM Custom Rule can be triggered again the next time the door has been left open. Any idea on how to do this? I can't figure out if/how to do this in Rule Machine for instance.

For #2 easiest way to cancel is to set HSM to use a button or switch to cancel alerts and then use a rule to set the switch/button.
For #1 a little harder in that you'll probably need to use a custom rule to trap the event device

Yeah I don't know how to do 1. I guess an imperfect solution is to cancel the alert when all the doors have been closed. That's easier, but not technically the way it should be.

EDIT: Nevermind, that's no good. That would cancel any other alerts like intrusion or water just because all the doors are shut. I need to figure out when an alert has been thrown because of doors being open, and then only cancel that alert when all the doors are closed.

What does this "HSM alerts rule" trigger do in Rule Machine? Is this triggered when any custom rule throws an alert?

I might be missing something here but wouldn't it be easier to use the built in "notification" app. There are all kinds of options to set it up just the way you want.

1 Like

The Notifications from the notifications app are not persistent are they (for display on a dashboard)? The nice thing about HSM is that my dashboard will display door ajar for the lifetime of the alert. The idea here is to reset HSM so that the dashboard will revert to its normal state once the doors have been shut.

Not missing anything, just reminding me of an app I never use, but one that should be a good fit for the notification piece of this...

Not that I can think of for use on a dashboard. I knew there was something I wasn't seeing.

For notifications that I'm interested in displayin on a dashboard I wrote a simple Notification Tile Device (in HPM or at https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thebearmagy/hubitat/main/notifyTile.groovy) and just add it in as another destination for the Notifications and use an Attribute Tile to display it.

1 Like

I think I'd prefer a state variable for this rather than freeform text. But I do like the idea of using that notification tile for other purposes on my dashboard.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.