Hub = C7
Version = 22.214.171.124
Lock = August ZWave Lock Pro
I've had this product working since I got onto the Hubitat platform since December. Since March, and when I've upgraded the hub I notice that Hubitat shows:
The status when I MANUALLY unlock / lock the door (happens instantly).
Battery level reporting.
If I try to unlock / lock the command within Hubitat (Devices Page), nothing happens. Nothing in the logs show up that it tries to issue a "Command called: unlock" -OR- "Command called: lock."
This is the pattern I noticed when Hubitat doesn't send lock/unlock commands:
- When I upgraded to 126.96.36.199 on 3/8 it stopped accepting lock/unlock commands from Hubitat.
- I tried rebooting, doing a ZWave repair, no help.
- Removed the batteries to reset the lock, no help.
- Removed the lock and re-added it on 3/10.
- Upgrade to 188.8.131.52 on 3/16 and the lock stopped accepting lock/unlock commands again from Hubitat.
In terms of my ZWave details, it's direct path to the Hub:
Please advise, I'm at a loss on what to do and don't want to keep adding / removing the lock every time there's a software update to the Hub (if that's the case). Thanks and let me know if I can provide anything else.