Attach one Lutron hub to two HE hubs at the same time?

I'm doing some troubleshooting and am moving some devices from my main hub to a second hub (both C7s).

I'm not going to mesh the hubs, keeping them separate intentionally. I have a Lutron hub integrated on my main hub and I'd like to have access to some Pico automations on the second hub, but don't have a second Lutron hub to do that.

In the short term is it possible to have Lutron hub enabled on two different C7s at the same time?

Sure, Lutron can have multiple Telnet sessions open. The two hubs could conflict with each other if you set it up that way, but both can fully command Lutron.

3 Likes

I have 4 Hubs connecting to one Lutron SmartBridge Pro.

HomeAutomationAsASystem

I have never needed to use it this way but if you set it up so that each hub can see all the Lutron devices (Picos in my case) then the button press info appears on all hubs simultaneously. Thus one button push CAN trigger completely different rules, per hub.

Mostly I just have specific Picos exposed to a single hub, because that's the use case. I really don't have a need for the Pico in my Kid's room (upstairs) to do something downstairs... but I could :slight_smile: If it would freak them out to have that happen, I'd do it in a minute... but I think it's just too far away for them to notice. :smiley: :smiley:

4 Likes

@bravenel & @csteele

Thanks very much for confirming.

That would be very helpful for my testing - I won't have to add/setup new Picos just to send a few commands from the Picos to the second hub.

Can you share what I need to do to set it up this way?

1 Like

Dang! That is brilliant!!

1 Like

If the resolution on your owntracks system is good enough you could then apply the activate pico functionality based on which room you are in. of course you'd have to have your phone with you too I guess.. :thinking:

1 Like

I wish .....

1 Like

I wonder if an rfid tag on the back of a pico could work...

2 Likes

Sorry to bump old thread but better than creating a new one on the same topic.

Curious if anyone has experience in implementing Lutron Integrator on multiple HE hubs. Which is a better architecture?

1. Put each Lutron device on each and every hub like you would with zwave or zigbee, no need for hub mesh since each device can be telmnetted to each and every hub where it’s needed.

2. Put Lutron Integration on one hub, then use hub mesh to move them to other hubs as necessary.

I think they’re both workable. Are there advantages to one over the other?

I'd just go direct to each. One less potential hop but it probably doesn't matter either way.

1 Like

I use #1. Lutron Integration on all hubs.

3 Likes

I use #1 as well, though hub mesh could be more efficient as you could be moving less data on the wire if you aren't using all the Lutron devices on all the Hubs...
But we've not profiled this, so that's just a guess on my part.

1 Like

When I first started multi hubs, I had a copy of the integrator on each. Eventually, I settled on putting all the Lutron devices (and the bulk of the Lutron-using apps) on one single hub, with the integration there, using Hub Mesh on the other hubs for just the devices they needed to see/affect.

Both methods worked equally well, from the hubs' standpoint, but I like the "partitioning" method better from my standpoint of trying to maintain things (like, "where is that xxx device?" or "where is that xxx app?").

1 Like