Assistance with Rule for Amazon Soap Dispenser

You would need to be mindful of those coming in after someone finishes in the shower or bath.

The humidity can get pretty high on its own in my bathroom naturally, without me having a shower. So the threshold would be hard to set

A comparison between two humidity sensors? That's the way the Hub Whisperer showed for controlling a bathroom fan on the HE YouTube video

2 Likes

Would certainly be worth looking at over a period of time to get some data

Uh oh, guys, I think you scared him away. :wink:

I'd just do an announce every time the door closes, along the lines of @erktrek's suggestion of a positive approach. I frequently used a presumptive close when I was in sales many moons ago, so something like "Use as much soap as you like when you wash your hands." or similar. :slight_smile: If that could be done in Clint Eastwood's squinty-eyed voice, all the better.

2 Likes

Even better if you could have a set of randomized sayings... so it's not the same all the time. This would be especially fun for the kiddos... but could backfire I guess.

Yeah definitely apologies to @Sunmill !!! I hope there was at least some interesting ideas in all our jibber jabber...

2 Likes

Everybody is offering half solutions. You need to combine a flow sensor on the water line (toilet and sink), a tilt sensor on the lid, a luminance sensor in the bowl, and a camera with facial recognition capabilities. An upgrade would be to add a magnetic lock on the door so it can't be opened until you have properly washed your hands.

5 Likes

Sort of surprised an air quality monitor hasn't been suggested yet.

1 Like

_ThisIsTheWay

1 Like

Well, Jason Bottjen (@JasonJoel) did a nice set of posts on monitoring air quality for his litter box in order to turn on the fan. Seems like it would be equally applicable here to monitor fumes from the toilet.

3 Likes

@Inge_Jones - It is just to give people a good laugh, I seriously doubt I will keep it running !00% of the time when people visit.

1 Like

@erktrek - My wife's sense of humor is almost as sick as mine, she thinks it will be hilarious!

2 Likes

Are you sunmill?

@ertek - I love the 20 seconds to comply. I am considering trying to play a message when my Ring Doorbell activates but there is no press of the button, or when one of my outdoor cameras senses motion after 11pm, but I have not found a way just yet to automatically play a .wav file. the "20 seconds to comply" one is what I was thinking (huge fan of RoboCop).

1 Like

I think it can be done using Node-RED and Homebridge maybe.. I'm not sure about the audio part. Certainly you can detect a ring motion event then trigger something.

I do this with my Ring Floodlights in order to have more granular control - I've bypassed their motion lighting control stuff except for motion recording.

Maybe an outdoor speaker? Sounds like a fun project!

@brad5 It does not appear in HE, but rather you can kick off an Alexa routine when it is activated. Then use a virtual device.

1 Like

Yes, sorry, I have 2 accounts, one from 2+ years ago, which is this one. Did not realize my browser logged me in on this one.

2 Likes

Thank goodness. We assumed the "other you" had been driven into retreat by the immense amount of fun we've all had with your post.

2 Likes

Ha ha. My “other you” is laughing. This has been a fun topic, if nothing else!

1 Like

A float switch in the toilet bowl would solve all of these problems.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.