"Art" of the sequence, a Node-RED retrospective

Unfortunately that's not true for all flows - particularly ones you import (or ones with function nodes) .

NR has no left to right flow requirement. What I mean by that is any node in any place in your visualisation may be triggered and create follow on actions so not everything originates on the left - or even in the same flow you're inspecting. This makes it impossible to easily understand a flow by examination. If they're your flows you can add 'discipline' here to make it more intuitive. I strongly recommend this. For me even two weeks later I think did I author this ! Function nodes (and sub flows) really obfuscate this.

An RM rule or an app code construct does not have these issues. As you expand your NR flows (and I have a lot and love it) you will experience the 'what did that' scenario which whilst easy to debug is quite frustrating and time consuming

1 Like

Absolutely true. I can't argue with that.

That said, I have 100+ flows at this point across 3 node-red systems. Let alone the ones I have at work.

I have been able to maintain left to right flow order in probably 99% of the flows, and am able to maintain continuity and ease of reading.

That said, I am notoriously adverse to using function nodes if I can do the function in 5 or less switch/change nodes (for instance). But I do use function nodes when it is the overwhelmingly best solution.

I am also a high user of link in/out nodes to keep initiators on the left side of my flow as much as possible.

But no argument - nothing is 100% true, fail safe, or consistent. Point taken!

1 Like

Posted this in the other forum too but figured what the heck and revive my zombie art thread...

TurboFan

1 Like