ZigBee Arrival Sensor For Car

I just want to let everyone know that the batch from manufacturing test has arrived.

I am happy with the result. I will be contacting you who has sent me a PM. I have more requests than what is in the picture. Some of you may not get one from this batch. I am sorry.

I have started a discussion with the manufacturer to make them at larger quantity quickly. I will have some detail in term of final pricing very soon.

Thanks
Iman

6 Likes

I just notice that I have never posted a link to the driver. Here is the driver for Arrival Sensor.

Here are my personal notes for installation.

1. Once everything is assembled, I personally power the sensor without battery connected. I use a stable DC power and pair the sensor with the hub. I do not have issue paring the sensor with battery. However, I know internally that I coded some slow down during battery powered to save energy. Therefore, I like to pair my sensor while it is in DC mode. Once paired, you can power down the sensor and install the battery. I recommend you charge the battery fully before you install it in the car for convenience.

2. I am told that you should have the antenna installed when the module is powered. If you do not have the antenna installed, it may damaged the radio. On my personal sensor, I did forget install the antenna a few times while on power. I immediately taken care of the issue. I did not observe any issue. I would re-qualify the recommendation that we probably should not leave the sensor on power without antenna for a long time. If you have to do this for short period of time (a few second), I would not worry about it. I find the module is quite hardy.

3. if you get your motion radar sensor here is the pinout where you can wire it.

4. Once you have the sensor ready to install in your car, I recommend that you find a place in the car where it is not exposed to the sun. Putting the sensor behind the windshield is probably not a good idea. I want everyone of us to be careful when handling battery.

5. The module should be in paring mode out of the box. There is no button press needed to pair. However, at this time, I tested each module before I ship. When I remove the module from my hub, it may not be removed cleanly. Therefore, you may want to perform factory reset.

4 Likes

Can you provide an image of the device with the radar sensor connected?

Yes, I will take a picture later.

1 Like

How to get the device into pairing mode? My hub cannot seem to find it.

In case someone need to perform factory reset. Here are the steps.

1. remove all power (battery and dc)
  2. press the button on the back of the board.
  3. plug the dc power and count to 4 to 5 seconds (not more).
  4. release the button. At this point, the module is in pairing mode.

The module should be in paring mode out of the box. I am still testing each module before I ship at this stage. When I remove the module from my hub, one or two of them may not cleanly leave my network. You can do the factory reset by performing the above steps.

2 Likes

@iharyadi

Finally got it assembled (procrastination!) and installed in my car, but the car is 5 miles away and the sensor is showing present.

Got any suggestions?

msedge_aVlR5EqZMD

Hi Alan,

Do you have it plugged in to either a usb or cigarette lighter plug with 5v converter?

The sensor should switch the power source to dc.

While on the DC, the timeout will be 1 minute. While on the battery, the timeout is 7 minutes. You could be 5 miles away before it changed status in this case.

Lets make sure your sensor change status to DC when your car started. Otherwise, the scenario will not work as expected.

Thanks
Iman

1 Like

Thanks for the response.

The car was at that address for over an hour. I reset the timers to their lowest setting (1 and 2 minutes if I remember correctly).

I will verify that it switches from battery to DC when plugged in when I get home later. It is on battery currently. I haven't tried it while plugged in.

Alan

2 Likes

Hello @iharyadi and everyone else interested in this sensor.

Unfortunately, due to ongoing construction, I have been unable to test this sensor in my car; however, I have tested it at home and have the following comments:

1. After charging the battery, I have unplugged the sensor, and it has been communicating fine with the hub for >72 hours. The battery reading is still 100% at this time.
  2. While it is on battery, it is probably a good idea to configure the Presence timeout (minutes) to be 7 minutes (default) or longer.
    Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 11.59.22 AM
  3. I had configured the presence timeout to be 5 minutes and started observing sporadic not present/present events in the logs, even though the sensor hadn't moved.

These sporadic events stopped after I changed the Presence Timeout to 7 minutes.
  4. The temp sensor is pretty accurate after correcting for the offset. It is currently reading 74F, and three other sensors in the room are at 74.2F, 74.3F, and 73.8F.
1 Like

Hi @aaiyar,

Thank you for sharing the information. It is interesting that you got so many present/not present cycle. What this mean is that the sensor lost connection to its parent. In addition, the recovery process could take longer than 5 minutes. This time is enough to change the present. My Zigbee network in my home does not have this many lost connection during its operation. I may have a couple reconnection in my worst day.

Please turn on the log if it is possible. You have set the timeout to 7 minutes. The state of presence is not going to tell you about "lost connection to parent" any more. I do log it when you have it enable. One impact of loosing the parent is battery consumption during re-connection process.

Thanks
Iman

1 Like

Regarding this not sure what driver you are using but the.one i have for the samsung arrival.sensor has a setting for the minimum time it has to be in the away state before it will trigger .

This cuts down on false alarms. Even if your driver doesn't have this you could simulate the same behavior in your rule.

1 Like

We (I and @aaiyar ) are using a driver that I wrote for my Arrival sensor.

The longer timeout will cut down the false alarm. This is correct. While the car is at home and powered off, the sensor will run on battery. "YES", we can relax the timeout interval in this state. I provide a very generous timeout while the sensor is battery powered exactly for cutting down the false alarm.

Once, the car is started( assuming it is most likely leave the house 90% of the time). The sensor is powered from the DC. Using my DTH, we will be using a different timeout setting. In this case, we want to be as aggressive as possible so that the "not present" state is detected as soon as possible.

The above is the difference between my Arrival sensor vs ST arrival sensor. Using a usb port (or cigarette lighter to usb) in the car, we could use different set of timeout.

3 Likes

After ~30 hours using a timeout of 7 minutes on battery, I have not seen the false alarm.

My suggestion to all is to leave the battery timeout at 7 minutes. 5 minutes is too aggressive.

3 Likes

:+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

seeing the below log entry frequently in my logs. Is it anything to be concerned with?

[dev:1106](http://10.0.0.42/logs#dev1106)2022-04-06 12:59:24.061 pm [info](http://10.0.0.42/device/edit/1106)device recovered from lost of parent at 2022-04-06 12:59:24

1 Like

This mean that the sensor keep loosing its parent.

This will impact your battery life. However, the sensor is design for a car that is driven daily. The battery will get charge up daily anyway

2 Likes

Sounds good. I see it happening once a minute while mains powered.

This is actually too much. Wireless protocol is not perfect. But, if you loose connection to ita parent at this rate, there is something is not quite right.

2 Likes

Yeah I am definitely seeing issues. The device seems to have just dropped off my network. Strangely enough it is the only zigbee device that seems to be having connection issues.

1 Like