Arlo Motion Sensor - Outdoor Light Control - Just wanted to share goodness

Just wanted to share a fix I came up with for an Arlo scenario. Arlo camera motion sensor on outside porch is connected to IFTTT to turn on the Hubitat Zigbee porch light when there is motion. Works great. But...since the device doesn't have the 'turn off after' capability, the light just stays on once it is tripped. Enter the RM. Just create a rule that states when this light comes on, turn it off after X minutes. BAZINGA!!! Very Cool!

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing.

Is there a way to keep the light on if motion continues?

I have the rule running differently dependent on the current Mode fed from Mode Manager. When the Mode falls within night time or close to darkness, I've extended the amount of time to keep the light on after IFTTT trips it. I do keep 'playing' with the settings though so if I come up with anything a little more creative, I'll post it here. TGIF!!!!

Very cool. I'd think you could up the game by using a virtual device in the middle, so that RM can tell the difference between "it's on" and "Arlo turned it on". Unless you ALWAYS want it to turn off after X minutes, no matter how it was turned on, in which case never mind.

I agree with you. Just started digging in a little deeper and have figured out one case using a virtual switch for it, with an auto-off at the device level to reset the trigger seems to work pretty well with the Arlo's. I just got the Google Home Relay fired up on my RPi and have a cool rule based on just that. If the front porch Arlo detects motion, IFTTT trips it's HE virtual switch to ON and the rule attached to that Google Speaks through the GH "Someone's at the front door". Is MUCHO FUN!!!!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.