Arlo EOL announcement for "older" cameras

I absolutely agree. I few years ago I started using my own NVR and stopped buying cameras that relied on cloud services. The icing on the cake is I was able to integrate my cameras with my HE hub (ST at the time). And I don't have to expose my camera feeds to anyone other than me.

Thanks again, @moh and everyone.

Looking at the device specs online, the Camect strikes me as almost underpowered. But, I don't know exactly what the Camect does other than "record video" and "identify objects." Storage is modest for an NVR, but I do appreciate it can be expanded.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward Blue Iris, even though this means operating another Windows PC. I had been looking forward to ditching Windows in the not-too-distant future!

I would need to purchase a PC for this purpose, but there are plenty of options on EBay. The Camect unit runs $400 (plus support), and for that price I can pick up a nice PC and the BI software.

I would also look to pick up a PoE switch and to run Cat5 cable up to the attic and to outdoor camera locations. What a bugger!

Thanks for advice and help!

There is an email today with the subject “Arlo EOL and Offer Details” that includes a (presumably one-time use) code for:

• 50% off ANY Arlo camera or video doorbell (limit 5 devices)
  • 75% off ANY Arlo Secure subscription service for 12 months

sorry… the link does not work for me but you can find it here:

That isn't about loyalty though and more about customer retention. This is just probably to placate customers threating to leave and hopefully get a little bit of cash instead. I haven't recieved it.

Hi @mavrrick58

Are you unsubscribed from Arlo emails?

Arlo lost me as a customer on New Years Day. This concession is too little, too late. Already ordered a PC for Blue Iris and researching the rest (cat6, crimping & fishing tools, switch, cameras).

“Happy New Year from Arlo. Now bug off!” Still a bit miffed about that.

Nope. I get a ton of emails from them about promotions. I am also a paying customer. I have a video doorbell on the single camera plan for it to have added functions. But i still have 2 Arlo q cameras and 2 pro 2 cameras.

I wonder if that only went out to customers that don't have any active subscription.

I am over it as well and just need to find a good alternative to the video doorbell that can do local RTSP. I already run Motion in Docker on Unraid so supporting simple NVR functions is already covered.

1 Like

It is definitely underpowered since it will support a TOTAL of 24MP. That's really wimpy for an NVR. However, what I plan on doing is streaming a low quality stream to camect and a high quality stream to my Amcrest NVR so I get the advantage of the image detection & HE integration of the camect and the retention/restolution (20TB & 4k) of the NVR.

3 Likes

This is Sonos all over again - if the camera is working for my use-case why should I be forced to change? Oh, right $$$ - once again like others have mentioned you don't really own any of these cloud connected devices..

2 Likes

Hi @brad5

Thanks. The Amcrest NVR's look like a heck of a deal. Sounds like you have a good approach to take advantage of the Camect object detection.

I'm going forward with Blue Iris. I don't mind tinkering a bit, and running on a PC gives me options. For example, I plan to migrate InfluxDB to the same PC (allowing me to shut down the very old PC I'm running now).

I have three 4K cams so didn’t have to think too much about this when I got a Camect.

But I am thinking of adding a couple cams this year and so will likely go this route as well, ie send lower-res streams to Camect for its object recognition (which I’ve generally been very impressed with) but add an NVR for additional 4K recording.

Might want to check out panoramic cameras as well:

Also he has a decent camera reviews on his youtube channel in the videos section..

Blue Iris looks awesome. If I was a Windows guy instead of a Mac guy I might consider it. But in my case I like dedicated HW so we'll see how the NVR works out.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.