Are there any decent RGBW lights that work directly without issues?

Sengled works great and for $23, I have Yeelight too, I believe they still at $15 each but they are in backorder right now, I like Yeelight because the app but if you will use HE only then both brands will do the same. Now, I'm looking for a rule for those lights, if here is a power failure them will turn on if they were off, both brands.

1 Like

I don't think I'd use the app. Really all I'm after is the same white sconce lighting that I have now, plus the ability to change colors on holidays and special occasions. Probably will just create a bunch of rules to do that for me.

Interesting about the power outage...worst case for me is that they would come on during the day, then stay on until the next scheduled off at sunrise. Not a big deal being outside.

I have a question about this...since the bulbs do such a terrible job repeating, how do you get full coverage for bulbs far away from your hue hub? Do you have separate repeaters paired to your hue hub to repeat the signal for your hue bulbs? Or are they just terrible repeaters for everything else but repeat the signal fine for other light bulbs? Is this where the difference between ZLL and ZHA comes in? I never understood why people would talk about having a whole bunch of zigbee repeaters but then also talk about taking their bulbs off the hub directly.

When using hue bulbs with hue bridge, they create their own separate mesh for just bulbs. I have the HE hub set to a different channel than the one Hue is using so the bulbs do not interfere with or try to route my other zigbee devices. I've got 22 bulbs all over the house with no issues.

I understand how to set it up. What I don't understand is why you don't need repeaters in your hue network if they are such terrible repeaters? If you have hue bulbs all over your house, if they were terrible repeaters, wouldn't you need to have repeaters to reach all of them? Or, like I asked, is it that they repeat for other bulbs fine but not for other devices, like motion sensors or contact sensors? I'm considering investing in Hue but don't want to if I'm going to need a whole bunch of other repeaters for that separate network.

I am no expert, but I believe when paired to a Hue Bridge, these bulbs use ZLL and properly route/repeat ZLL commands. When paired directly to Hubitat, they have to use ZHA, and thus they are asked to route/repeat for non-lighting devices like motion, temperature, water, switches and dimmers, door/window, etc... That is where they don't too well.

If someone knows differently, please correct me as I'd hate to spread misinformation.

That's what I thought but I just wanted to confirm. I didn't want to go out and get the Hue and start doing all that just to find out that I'll have to buy a whole other set of repeaters too! Thanks Dan.

From what I've been able to find (and understand) the big difference between zll and zha comes with how the devices join a network and whether or not a hub is required. That's why you can buy the pre-paired hue bulb/dimmer switch set and NOT need a hub for those. SOOO much information to digest. They say that learning keeps your brain young. I think mine's just regressed to infancy at this point. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

This is correct. Confirmed by @mike.maxwell. I havenโ€™t got the technical explanation, but @ogiewon โ€˜s explanation sounds good. Especially since there are non-Hue outlets that apparently work fine with it.

I have osram smart + lamps but as they are my only ZigBee devices I've never had a issue. As I understand it if you have a strong mesh anyway you will be fine, but if they are your backbone of the network to other devices, then you will probably have issues.

Not from what I have read on here. Since they "try" to be a repeater, a device might ignore a perfectly good repeater and use the Cree instead. At least that was my understanding.

Love same day delivery! Now I gotta set up some rules to change colors based on day. Is it possible to set up slow fades between colors?

4 Likes

Shouldn't the red light be on the right? Red Right Returning?

3 Likes

Dang you are correct! How did I mess that one up? :rofl::rofl:

The house is coming towards you... red is on IT'S right. :rofl::rofl:

But that's an airpane thing, not a boat thing.

When I stand in the driveway and pretend I'm a boat or plane it works. Not that....uh....I've ever...ummm...done that...

Funny part about this navigation light subject is that all those LED strip lights were bought for our boat parade entry this year. Seemed like a waste to not put them on the house when we were finished :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Wow, great job on the boat!

1 Like

Nice!

1 Like

So almost a year later...how did the Sengleds hold up outside?

I removed them, had issues with them not responding to commands. Ended up with a set of yeelights out there instead, they have been fine. Sengleds are now inside the house.

I have 6 Yeelights outside for almost a year now including last winter and they have not missed a beat. They are the adj. whites. YLDP05YL. Like destructure00 all of my inside lights are sengled both color and adj. whites and they have always been reliable as well.