Aqara vibration sensor - washing machine complete

Hi all -

looking for some help setting up a rule using an aqara vibration sensor to let me know when a load of wash is completed. I assume it would be something like - if motion/vibration starts, notify when motion ceases for more than like 10 mins or so. Thoughts? Thank you.

Exactly that

triggers
vibration changes

If vibration sensor is active
then
notify
dryer is running
cancel delayed actions
else if
vibration sensor is inactive
then
notify
"dryer is done please switch loads"
delay 5 minutes cancelable
end-if

My first thoughts were this. Try this in rm and post what you get. It'll be more helpful for me. I don't have a vibration sensor, so I'm not sure how they actually report.

Older thread but I did this on my dryer w/ a Samsung vibration sensor a couple of months ago. Here's the code of the RM rule that I wrote. LaundryRunning holds the rule state so you don't spawn off multiple instances from the vibration detector triggering (only the first instance persists for the duration of the load of laundry). Legit simply was a tuning mechanism for me to not get spurious notifications when loading or unloading the dryer.

Local Variables:
LaundryRunning: Boolean -> False
Legit: Number = 0

Trigger: Vibration Sensor Active

IF (Variable LaundryRunning(false) = true(F) [FALSE]) THEN
Exit Rule
ELSE
Set LaundryRunning to true
Repeat every 0:03:00 (stopable)
IF (Dryer Sensor inactive(T) [TRUE]) THEN
Stop Repeating Actions
END-IF
Add 1 to Legit
END-REP
IF (Variable Legit(0) > 3(F) [FALSE]) THEN
Notify SM-G970U: 'Dryer Cycle Complete @%time% on %date%'
END-IF
Set LaundryRunning to false
Set Legit to 0
END-IF

6 Likes

Thanks Wbcoyote3 Public
This is just what I was looking for. Everything is the same except I have Alexa speak instead of a text.
I also had to play with the Legit variable to fine tune it. Tested it quickly. I will see in the coming week if it passes the wife test.

Not working for me, can you check my setup? Thank you.

1 Like

Your rule looks ok. What sensor are you using?

I am using a SmartSense Multi V1.

I was thinking there was too many β€œend if” tags.

If your washing machine pauses during the repeat (say if filling) this might not register on the sensor and the rule will exit prematurely. Maybe a larger Legit test limit?

You code looks ok to my eye. I added the Legit variable for tuning out multiple notifications - I've got an all in one unit so opening one door or the other will trigger the vibration sensor and start the rule timer. Recommend you set Legit to 1 so it will notifiy on any sensed vibration once the rule times out, and gradually increase the timer (my value is 3, or 9 minutes give or take) to weed out false "dones" while the wash drum is still during fill/drain, loading/unloading washer or dryer, etc.

The other thing I recall I had to do on the sensor device screen was set Three Axis Reporting to "Normal" in the preferences section as it was disabled by default. X/Y alone wasn't enough (for me) and maximum was too sensitive.

Just following your rule and want to understand something.
The repeat every 3 minutes line, should i adjust this amount based on my machine?

Mine has sections of its washing cycle where towards the end where it has no movement for around 3m45s and then spins a couple of times, drains water and repeats this process for 2-3 times before fininshing.

Should i change this line to this timeframe? will it help it catch these parts and not report finished 3m into the 3m45s phase of intermittent stopping?

Mine cycles similarly, but shorter, so yes. I'd probably increase the timer to 5 minutes and back it off until you get a false positive. If it's pretty consistent at a 3:45 cycle time, you could probably get away with starting at 4 minutes.

There's nothing really special about the timer - it just serves as a pause so the app/RM doesn't clobber the CPU and for exactly the kind of situation you mentioned so that the app needs to get 3 consecutive no movement readings prior to alerting movement has stopped (so the laundry cycle is complete).

1 Like

Does the Aqara vibration sensor need the Aqara hub or will it work natively with hubitat?

It will work with Hubitat. However, as with other Aqara sensors, be aware that they use non-standard zigbee, require a zigbee network with very specific routers/repeaters, and can be prone to falling off the network.

What vibration sensor works best with hubitat?

Loaded question.

Aqara is the most sensitive and offers the best data in my experience, but it drops for some people if the Zigbee network isn't carefully setup. Search the forum for the hundreds of posts and advice on that subject.

Samsung Multi-sensor (out of stock everywhere as Aeotec takes over things) is decent and doesn't have a connection stability issue, but it's more expensive if you can find one, its readings are erratic and it's batteries are much more expensive than the CR2032 the Aqara uses, and they don't last very long.

1 Like

@jzulkeski

I agree. And while they may not be stable when paired directly with HE, several community members (including @SmartHomePrimer and me) described ways to pair them with other zigbee controllers that we integrate with Hubitat.