Aqara Support on Hubitat

I will not be surprised if deCONZ has implemented on purpose the same bug (or Aqara specific non-standard 'feature'), as in the Aqara Zigbee hubs. Let's not forget, that Aqara devices have zero problems with the Aqara hubs...

At my previous work, we had a very similar case. We were changing one of the sub-device suppliers when we found that there was a bug in our software, not complying with the protocol specification of a well-known communication standard. However, this bug in our host controller was not a problem with the devices produced by the previous supplier (they also missed the strict validation of the data received). But we already had thousands of installations on field... So, the new supplier decided that they will implement the same bug in their firmware, with the only goal to convince us to purchase their device! :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Interesting. I have a number of Xiaomi and Aqara branded devices working on my C-7. I didn't need to remove my Centralite-built SmartThings and Iris smart plugs (I have 10); I just added some (5) Ikea ones. I'm using ZigBee channel 23.

1 Like

Absolutely a classic!! (@veeceeoh - remembering the early Aqara days on SmartThings!)

1 Like

https://www.aqara.com/us/news/article/1583280087822561280

4 Likes

Once I removed Centralite smart plugs I had huge Aqara success. Solid with no issue for my contact sensor… happy with them now. I am selective with zigbee elements moving forward and replace plugs with the IKEA plugs.

1 Like

I'm glad it's working for you, but I find the Ikea outlets to be pretty terrible. I've had 5 of 8 fail.

That said, the 3 Ikea ones that have not yet failed are still on my C-7 Zigbee mesh, along with 11 Centralite plugs (10 Iris, 1 SmartThings). I'm not having any issues with my Aqara/Miija devices.

I also have five Ikea outlets, and they are all fine after almost two years. They all have to be hidden behind furniture as my wife finds them "...hideously ugly..." And that's on a good day. :slight_smile: But the Ikea plugs have been reliable for me.

These things are always interesting...the inconsistency is part of the hair-pulling results w/home automation. :wink: I have a bunch of Centralite plugs and my Aqara contacts and leak sensors and buttons are perfectly happy on my C8. I also have a couple SonOff dongle repeaters, and one Ikea plug on the C8, along w/several Sengled plugs. I have about 100 zigbee devices overall, so a lot going on and I'm surprised that everyone is playing pretty well together.

I used to have all kinds of trouble w/Aqara, to the point where I gave away my Aqara contact sensors and buttons, but these days the Aqara contact and leak sensors and buttons are an integral part of my automations. Like the contacts especially, due to the small form factor and long battery life.

Just recently I did have some Aqara contact issues after adding a Linptech mmWave sensor to my C8...shortly after adding it five Aqara contacts fell off the hub. I rejoined them and three of them fell of again two more times. So I moved the mmWave to my C7 and the Aqara contacts are happy again on the C8. Interestingly, I have four Aqara contacts and a button on the C7 and they are fine w/two Linptech mmWave sensors.

3 Likes

I would like to know if Aqara Hub M1 or M2 can work without internet service to prevent data mining ?

Has anyone attempted to use this hub as a local device only ?

Thank you in advance on your thoughts and recommendations on keeping it local only :slight_smile:

With the Ikea repeaters... do the Aqara sensors connect directly to the C7, or do you need to use their hub too?

The Aqara contact sensors, can be paired with your HE hub you don't need an Aqara hub.

There's work going on right now to allow pairing of Aqara and other hubs to HE via Matter as bridges, which would then allow you to put devices on the other hubs and access them from your Hubitat hub. So that will be another option coming.

1 Like

So I have several aqara contact, temp/humidity, and motion sensors. I have added 2 IKEA (hideous) plugs exclusively for repeating.

Contact, temp sensors are super reliable. The motion sensors make me want to jump off a cliff.

This is more problematic in my second home (also as AirBnB) which I suspect might be a dormant thing? I've read the pairing and keeping connected article and still have to reconnect them so often.

Should I just get another 2-3 IKEA outlets to increase repeaters, or ditch them and just replace all with hue or third reality?

In my main home, I have many more aqara devices and they all seem to work much better. Including the upgraded motion ([Upgraded Version] Aqara Motion Sensor P1, Requires AQARA HUB, 5-Year Battery Life, Configurable Detection Timeout, for Alert System and Automations, Compatible with HomeKit, Alexa, IFTTT https://a.co/d/dMWPiDi) which I keep in my 4Runner, which is in a parking area behind me house, equivalent to being across the street in another yard, and even this is quick and reliable as well.

I should add that I have a 1 or 2 sengled zigbee bulbs in my main house, but about 7 or 8 in the second home.. could that be killing my mesh? I know they are leveraging the IKEA repeaters because if I move one, they don't respond.

Thoughts/suggestions?

I recently got rid of all IKEA repeaters and switched to Sonoff USB dongles and tuya mini USB repeaters. I have a ton of Aqara contact sensors and a few motion.

Are you using the USB dongles with hubitat or via HA integration?
Also, assume that you're having better success now?

I am using this, and so far, it works well. Admittedly I only have two other devices (one of which I would not have expected to work, it's a pet feeder). I am using it with a G3 Camera/Hub and Aqara P1 motion sensor and it works well (I'm just not so sure how well I like the p1 itself) .

1 Like

I would love to get an aqara hub to natively communicate with all those services and integrate with hubitat but I don't have an HA setup so I'm super interested in this.. you say you have it working already?!

There is an ongoing experimental custom Matter Bridge project, the plans are to release it for wider beta testing after one week.

6 Likes

In case it's not obvious, please include me on the beta :grin:

2 Likes

Yes, as I said it's a small number of devices currently. I have not yet (and haven't tried) to get the camera view in my hubitat (works great with home kit though). You can connect the Aqara Hub to Hubitat via matter (in my case I'm using HomeKit on an apple TV). Once you connect the hub to your matter router, it can be bridged to Hubitat, and so far, it's working quite well for me.

1 Like

Is this official an official Hubitat effort or community based?

Community-based.

4 Likes