Aqara FP1 and P1 motion sensors

My FP1 experience so far has been great My "powder room" solution just works.. :crossed_fingers:

I'd be interested in occupancy count if that is even possible.

2 Likes

Can you clarify what you mean by occupancy count?

EDIT: I suppose counting the number of the detected persons?

1 Like

Yes, this seems to be a very powerful feature, but it needs much more time to fully understand how it works. I haven't had the time to experiment with the regions configuration and usage in Aqara app.

The folks from deConz have already reverse-engineered the Aqara commands for configuring and reporting of the presence in the defined regions ( 4x7 matrix ), so it seems like FP1 can report up to 28 individual regions presence statuses!

But before making any attempts in HE, I think we should first fully understand how the regions are working using the native Aqara Home app.

4 Likes

Yep that's what meant. I think I saw that capability in the Aqara app somewhere but am not sure.

1 Like

Well, after a lot of Googling and reading, I have the regions reporting in the driver. The problem is they report a few seconds after sending that there is motion. Just like the 'presence' and 'presence_type'. So not real useful in blocking out something that you don't want the sensor to see.

Also the regions are only left/right/back/forward. With no way to distinguish the height of the movement (up/middle/down), so blocking ceiling fans isn't possible.

Maybe someone can find a better way. :man_shrugging:

At least I learned a lot! :smile:

4 Likes

Hi @bptworld ,

Just got an idea - what if the device regions reported data is sent in an event as a JSON?
Once implemented in the driver, this will allow further processing in a Hubitat application which in turn can control a virtual motion sensor. This way (experimenting/tuning processing logic in an App) will be much easier (and safer) to experiment with!

When regions info is used, most probably the presence status as returned by the device must be ignored by the processing app. Like this:

• if the device is returning overal present status, but in the regions, data presence is reported only for these cells that are configured as 'interference source' -> then these can be ignored and the app (later the driver itself) will report no presence!. Or something like this...

I still have to understand better how the radar conical detection surface is projected into a 2D 'flat' matrix. It is not linear for sure, so different cells will have different matrix dimensions. But I think no matter how the 2D matrix is composed, an interfering fan will be reported in one or several adjacent regions, which presence status can be simply ignored by the processing logic in the app/driver.

2 Likes

Thanks for putting together this driver for FP1. It works fantastically.

I just bought 4 of them and I no longer need any other sensors and I can have the lights turn off as soon as I leave the room as the presence is so accurate.

2 Likes

I've found the initial person detection to be a little slow so I use the FP1 and a "regular" motion sensor.. is that not what you are seeing with your setup? :thinking:

I have seen people using a PIR to detect initial motion then the FP1 to stop detecting but I have found if I use the motion element of the FP1 it is just as fast as a PIR in my experience. It’s pretty much 1/2 a second or so for me.

2 Likes

I am going to have to test this, thanks! Will temporarily disable my motion sensor in our powder room and see what happens...

So just tested... yep you are correct, response is pretty good.. I already had the motion sensor in place before adding the presence sensor so just assumed I needed to keep it... very cool!!!!

2 Likes

Trouble pairing second FP1...

I received my first FP1 a couple of weeks ago and after a few tries, it paired and has been working great! I received my second FP1 two days ago and can't get this one to pair. It does pair right up to the E1 though.

• Is there a preferred zigbee channel that these things like? (my e1 is set to 15, HE is set to 20 - my 'production' zigbee network is set to 24). I have read that the FP1 won't work with 21-24.
  • Is there a documented way to 'reset' the FP1?
  • Also, is there a step by step way to connect the FP1 to HE?

Again this is for the FP1 only.

Thanks

It took me a couple of tries on my second one as well - I'm not exactly sure how I made it work but heres what I did (not all at once!):

• pulled power, held button, put power back in and released after 5 seconds.
  • Tried holding button in for like 30 seconds.
  • pressed and held button, released after starts blinking.

One thing is I suspect the reset takes longer than you'd expect so you might have to leave it powered for a few minutes after attempting a reset. dunno.

What channel are you using? This second one is kicking my butt! lol.

Channel 15 - I have some old Konke sensors that require this channel.

2 Likes

I have seen reports that Aqara FP1 does not like Zigbee channels 21-24.

Make sure you pair it very close to the hub. There is very intensive configuration communication, and if there are delays becusae of Zigbee commands automatic retries, the pairing fails.

Hi @kkossev, I am working with a new Aqara FP1. Are these log entries ok?

I am getting some interesting log entries.

FYI I an using Zigbee channel 23. Could this be an issue?

Indeed, your used channel is an issue.

1 Like

Given the availability of frequencies to share with other devices I can not change the zigbee channel without overlapping something. The device seems to work fine so I will just ignore the errors.

That post looks like the issue has to do with pairing and @kkossev may confirm this.

Hey @bbholthome , your FP1 seems to be working fine on channel 23! So not everything that can be found on the Web is absolutely true...

I don't see errors in the debug logs that you posted. These debug logs need some cleanup to avoid confusion if something is a problem or not... I will try to comment in some more details later when I have time.

With FP1 presence that may stay in ''occupied" state for very long time (at night as example) we have the challenge of what to print periodically as INFO logs, as nothing changes at night- neither the occupancy, nor the illuminance.

One possible approach is when the periodic check-in / heartbeat message is received (every 60 minutes) to show as an Info message in the logs: "Presence is active for 3 hours, 28 minutes, 10 seconds" and hide anything else.

3 Likes