Apple, Amazon and Google unite to help create a universal smart home standard

This looks to be a potential game changer for Home Automation and all the big boys are playing it seems. I personally believe wifi is the going to win in the space just economics of supply and demand and my wifi network just works zwave...wellll

Curious as to the Hubitat community thoughts on this

https://www.connectedhomeip.com/

Been discussed here previously at least once. I'll be amazed if anything comes of it. And it isn't like 6LoWPAN and/or Thread have a track record of success in this marketplace.

1 Like

I applaud their efforts, but won't get the least bit interested until there are (if there ever are) commercial products available - in volume, at a reasonable price point.

Until then it is just another "Good Idea".

My views on this are solely my own.

I said this many years ago and I haven't changed my opinion. Give me Zigbee and Z-Wave today, but eventually (and I'm not taking bets on when that eventuality is, but it will be further than before the global pandemic) Bluetooth Mesh is most likely to be the go-to technology for automation.

They may not have the lead, but they have the market share in low power radio technology, the marketing muscle, and the restraint to not over-promise. I fault absolutely no one that doesn't go with it today. It's so far away still, it would be a fools choice to bank on it, but I believe it will eventually be a foolish choice to ignore it.

The press release is dated December 2019. Has there been any "there" there since then?

That are Open and Integration friendly......

1 Like

Good point. :+1:

if it only works in their walled gardens, I won't buy it. For the same reasons I don't buy the myriad of Wi-Fi proprietary cloud devices today.

3 Likes

wifi and Bluetooth are going to have a cost advantage in silicon that iss just a simple reality there will be many more of these chips produced. Now if its behind a walled garden I'm out too but the spirit of this alliance claims to be open...meaning that the devices at least should be usable by any platform. It appears to me that HE has the framework to integrate them when/if they ever exist

Agreed. HE has the framework, but they're in the correct place today. A small startup that tries to integrate every new and unproven radio technology (or even just too many radio technologies - i.e. Revolv and Wink) either has a fast-paced exit plan or has an affinity for Sisyphus.

3 Likes