Apparent noob question on conditions

Where can I read about the logic around the conditions in Rule Machine (4 I think)? Trying to turn a bathroom light off, which the rule does, but even if some of the conditions are false, when I actually want the light to stay on.. It's as if the rule is ignoring the conditions entirely. Can't figure it out.

Without seeing a screenshot its hard to say.

If you haven't already figured it out, for a rule to run a (any) triggers(s) have to occur.
So

The rule has one or more triggers. When and only when a trigger condition occurs are the conditions and actions acted upon. So the first thing you have to be sure of in your triggers.

Hope this helps.

John

1 Like

I would change that to

trigger event occurs, the conditions are evaluated and the actions take place

Saying "trigger condition" is just going to drive people bonkers trying to keep straight. "Is it a trigger condition or a condition-condition?" Let's just use trigger and condition separately.

1 Like

Thanks guys. That helps. So basically look at the conditions at the precise moment the trigger occurs? If that's the case, I'm still seeing a false condition at that moment. Does there just need to be ONE true condition for the rule to take action when triggered?

ie, the conditions all have OR between them? I thought it would be AND.

No, all of your conditions have to be true for the action under it to take place. But again, we need to see your rule in order to evaluate what is wrong.

You specify the connector between conditions. It's not default one way or the other. You can also parens around them.

1 Like

Ah! I knew there had to be a way to do that. I wasn't realizing that I had to add the conditions as conditional actions. I was just adding regular actions like a nincompoop. Makes total sense now. Thanks all!

Again, showing a copy of your rule will help to clarify.

[quote="Ryan780, post:5, topic:32062"]
No, all of your conditions have to be true for the action under it to take place.

That should be: Sort of, actually it can an OR or AND and I believe an XOR.

All of your conditions have to equal out to true, and I think you know that is exactly what I meant.

Remember this is the question you were answering.... "ie, the conditions all have OR between them? I thought it would be AND." so I think not.

On mobile. Will do that next time.

Yeah, cause I don't understand how rule machine works. Give me a break. Ignore.