App for a dimmer to control a group of Hue bulbs

If what you want is for a group of dimmers to follow the lead of one (or more than one) of the group, both as to setting level and on/off, you would use Motion Lighting. Here is an example that includes setting different levels for different modes for when the group is first turned on. Once turned on, adjusting any of the dimmers will cause all three to change, or turn on/off. This also includes a child device created named "Powder" that allows Alexa to set the group level or on/off.

One can omit the motion sensor, and get all of the features described except motion on/off.

This sort of app requires that the dimmers report "physical" events.

I want the light to turn off (or on) when the physical (remote) switch or app is hit for 'on/off' - since this function only reads a change in the dimmer level, and the 'off' button on my switch doesn't technically change the level (unless held down), the light stays on. (same issues with turning it on).
It's really trying to create a virtual 'three way' dimmable light with two switches, the remote one on the wall and the app as the other switch, except the wall switch is only relaying to a controller box for the low voltage lights I have.

What events do you want to cause the level to change? Either switch or app for on/off, but what drives level?

See this post:

That would work for what you've shown so far. Omit the motion sensor --> it's irrelevant. Select your real switch as both Switch to turn on and Switch to turn off. In the example in that post, that is done by Powder 1. You can do what you want with the modes, depending on how you are using them now, if at all. If you just leave your system in one mode, then just set it up for that mode.

If you change the dim level of the switch, the dim level of the light will follow.

Thanks. I got the light set up as follows, and the on/off works, turning the light on at the % specified. (in combination with the other rule to change the dimming level). Follow up questions: - is there a way to 1) get the on/off rule I just made to just turn on at the previously set dimmer level (as opposed to the set percentages in the motion lighting)? often that is preferred to me - if, as a user, I find a nice level for how sunny or cloudy the week is, it's nice to have that particular level 'stay' as the light level for that week or so, without having to go into 'coder' mode. Or 2) combine the off/on with the dimming tracking previously created (also trying to get to the same ideal, thinking if it were possible to combine into rules - it would help with the first question/ideal of remembering whatever light level was last set).

To reiterate, and maybe I should have started a new thread instead of tagging onto this one if that was confusing, next time I will!
I've got two dimmers, and I'm just trying to have whatever happens on the one (master) switch happen at the other (Slave) - on, off, and changes to the dimmer level setting.

You should check out Groups and Scenes. With a Scene you can capture some settings that you like -- even adjust them a bit. Then you can use Scene Per Mode in Motion Lighting. This feature is also coming to Rule Machine.

You should also check out a Group. A Group gets a bunch of lights to follow a master --> the master is a virtual device. You could overlay a Scene on a Group, use the Group to adjust all of the lights in a follow me way, then use the Scene to capture that setting, then use that Scene in automations.

Play with those a bit....

Hi all, I got this working great through the instructions above. When I control a single hue bulb from the hubitat dashboard, the other bulbs follow that bulb very closely behind.

The problem I have is that it isn't working when something external to hubitat changes the master bulb. In that event, the slaves don't follow. I need to be able to change the dimness of one bulb from an external app (like the organic hue app) and have the other bulbs notice the change and mimic it. This is a capability of the lighting automation app in smartthings. Is it possible with hubitat?

The answer is in this thread. Make the bulb that you want the group to follow trigger dimmer for comparison. The only thing is, that bulb will also always be the master of that group, unless you use a switch to disable the rule.

What it is you're adjusting the bulb with that is outside of Hubitat? A Lutron connected bulb remote?

Yeah that thread is how I have it set up and it works great if I change the dimmer settings on the master via the hubitat dashboard. If I change the same master light from something external to hubitat, nothing happens with the slaves.

The controller I'm using is this one:

Great concept, but the integrations with hue are a little light (pun intended). No ability to control groups of hue lights yet with the slider dimmers. The master/slave automation is a great bandaid fix while I wait for them to put out an API or fix it themselves.

I also tried to dim the master bulb by itself through the hue app hoping the slaves would follow. But no luck. It's as if the hubitat isn't aware of the bulb status change unless I make that change with hubitat.

When I change one of the hue bulbs external to hubitat, the status in the hubitat device never updates. I have two hue bridges set up in separate instances of the native hue hubitat app and I tried lights on both bridges neither seems to register with the hub. Has anybody else run into this?

Wait... You can use Motion Lighting with no motion sensor???

I'll have to try that... I currently do my master/slave dimmer following with two RMs - one for dimmer following, one for ON/OFF tracking.

Seems like I could do it in one Motion Lighting, if a motion sensor isn't needed.

I am so lost here in this thread. Your original question is exactly what I want to do. I have a GE zwave Dimmer wired to always give power to my hues builds, 8 of them to be exact, how exactly did you finally get the Dimmer switch to act as an inderect on/off and Dimmer for your hue bulbs. To be clear the switch does not physically turn lights on, off or dim. Currently it does nothing but does show as a Dimmer on my hubitat....... I read this whole thread several times and can't figure out what you did to get things to work. I tried to use motion lights with out the motion sensor but the options don't make much sense to me and I can't get it to do anything....... Help me please.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.