App Feature - Multiple Geo-fence Locations

It would be great if we could create multiple geofence locations and use HE to distinguish between them so we can setup rules according to what location one is at.

One Quick Example:
Would be great for making sure kids arrive and leave school when they are should. Kids all seem to have smart phones. have the app installed and set up locations like school or friends house.
So if Child 1 should be at school between 7am-3pm and is not present during that time send notification

Another Example.
I bring my wife lunch often, but i have to text her when I get there to come out and get the food. Would be nice if once I get within a range it notifies her and she would already be on her way out before I get there so I can drop off and head back to work myself.

This would allow me to completely drop Life 360.

2 Likes

This isn't what HE was designed to do. It's a Home Automation platform. You just described the business model of Life360. It already does what you are asking. Why re-invent the wheel?

3 Likes

At this time, I believe the HE app only provides a single GEO location. I remember that the WebCoRE Presence Sensor had the option for multiple locations and I thought L360 did this as well. You could do this and have the flexibility to execute other commands which would be outside anyones business model. That said, you are still dependent on some company (e.g. HE, L360, Samsung with WebCoRE) providing the geodata. Since that is the case, why you want to drop Life360?

A second or more geolocation events could be very useful, beyond notifications. For example, if I departed work and cross a certain geolocation, I could pre-cool the house. Unfortunately the Life360 integration only allows use of a single 'place'

1 Like

That's arguable. But how would you manage this? "Presense" is a binary thing in the current architecture of HE. What you are asking for is a fundamental change to HE to allow for multiple locations within one hub. You would have to be able to select presence and location. Which it currently doesn't support.

@doug I agree completely. It would be nice to have multiple locations. We have a PI (plugin) in HS that does this and gets the info from life360. If you get the premium version you can add multiple locations to the phone app. Last time I checked it was $24 a year. Well worth it.
Maybe we can get @jeubanks to chime in and help explain how he got the info for HS since he is the one that wrote the one in HS.

Everything's arguable.... :roll_eyes:

Yes, it would take some re-architecture of how they do presence today. Either a parent device + child switches for each location, or other.

It is fine as a feature request. Hubitat will decide if that is in their needs or not.

Absolutely...and I'm voicing my opinion that it's not worth the effort currently.

1 Like

REDACTED

Presence was not what I said. Events based on geolocation do not necessarily have to activate a virtual presence device. An event, a trigger of any sort could be adapted and would indeed be useful for those of us who can imagine such a use. I am aware that is not how it is currently designed, thus the Feature Request section.

4 Likes

I asked the same thing when it seemed like I wasn't allowed to have a contrary opinion.

I find anyone that thinks anything is offensive, offensive. :smile: :smile: :smile:

4 Likes

If you're referring to my post, it was not an effort to diminish the value of your opinion. Rather it was, in apparently failed humor, to reflecting how I had a use for the requested feature despite your comment that it is arguable the feature would be useful.

I think this feature is far from consideration for implementation, whether or not we agree to it's usefulness or complexity. There are so many other things the team should probably be focused on.

I use the good old IFTTT & Maker API for my multiple Geo-fence locations(5), So far, it works fine. Even better than Stringify.

Just throwing my 2 cents in here. I use life360, hubitat and geolocation in alexa to get things working for multiple locations. It would be lovely to just use one app for all.

For example, when I'm about 3 miles from the house right now alexa announces I'll be home in 5 minutes.

For things that take time it's quite handy to be able to detect distance from home and start taking actions.

For example I have an espresso machine that takes about 20 minutes to get the boiler going. So ideally during the work week when I leave work and am headed home it would be nice to turn it on and get it warming so when I walk in I can have an espresso. My time leaving is never consistent so running on a schedule is not as great as detecting distance.

The IFTTT idea above is definitely good, one thing I'm trying to minimize is how many apps use my location (thus gps and battery)

I have 2 properties each with a hub. I open the app and select a hub. The geolocation doesn't update according to the hub. This is ridiculous in my opinion. The system should absolutely support a separate geolocations for each hub in the mobile app. And additional locations would also be welcome.

This is an interesting thought. I have 2 hubs as well (one at work, one at home) and geolocation is clunky there as well, so I just stuck with life360...if we could just enable another instance of life360 that would be helpful since we can already select from multiple locations in the app.