App Code Remember/Save Import URL(s) Checkbox

I’m installing several updates to app code from GIT repositories. Would be great if there was a way (dropdown or checkbox) to recall previously used URLs for updating code or at least a place for people to enter their own notes.

I can't check my hub on the specifics but Apps and Drivers can provide an Import URL in their header. Then, all we need to do is click the import button when looking at the App/Driver and the code will be updated. That doesn't help with new code you're installing but, especially as everyone adopts that convention, it makes maintenance a breeze. Does that reduce the need for what you proposed? If not, can you clarify how your use case is different?

Thanks. I installed Echo Speaks yesterday and noticed that when I went to update, I had hunt around for where the new code was posted.

Overall it wasn’t that big of a deal to go find and not complaining. Just a matter of possibly making things more convenient for others. So commenting URL update locations out seems to be something app and driver developers could do but isn’t always put into good practice. That would be handy.

It may have been a timing thing. I know that at least with the 3.1.0.1 version of Echo Speaks, @tonesto7 has the importURL there. The one thing that doesn't seem to be covered is if there are application/driver changes that require new prerequisite apps/drivers to be installed.

I’m not sure what your asking but all ES apps and drivers contain the importURL

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was saying the same thing you did - Echo Speaks has the importURL. I didn't know if @leo_charles didn't try the Import button or he was looking at an old version of ES that didn't include the URL. In any case, I was just trying to clarify that I didn't think the suggestion that started the thread (to recall previous URLs) was necessary. If a person wants to update their installed apps/drivers, they just need to click Import.

The other point I was trying to make was Import works great when you are just updating the existing code. If the code base is changed to add new related apps/drivers, it seems a user has to check that manually. For example, in ES 3.2, you added the Zones app and the Websocket driver. You updated the first post of the [RELEASE] Echo Speaks v3 + Actions thread to clearly indicate what changes have happened. You also have some of the best documentation of any app, including step by step instructions. My suggestion was really to check the related application's main thread when performing updates to see if there is any other upgrade instructions besides just importing the latest code.

Does importURL actually work apps? Last time I read, it only works on drivers. Apps do remember a URL you've manually pasted into the "import" box yourself, however...so what the poster is asking for already exists in that case, and a driver author can make it happen in the other.

2 Likes

Nope, I tried it after you pointed that out in the other thread. It only works for drivers that way

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. I saw the importUrl in some apps and figured it worked the same way as in drivers. I learned my thing for the day. Can I go home now, :wink:?

2 Likes

Here's my experience...

Drivers:
The metadata code can contain an Import URL and if it does, it pre-populates the Import URL after the 1st ever Save.

Apps:
Metadata code is ignored. After entering an Import URL into the Import box, and importing code, clicking save, the Hub memorizes it and subsequent visits to App Code & an App will have the Import URl from the previous success.

06%20AM

2 Likes

Thanks! It's consistently inconsistent which is consistent enough for my definition of consistency :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Ha. You deserve time off it’s a holiday. :slight_smile:

1 Like