Anything good from CES 2021?

With CES virtual this year, I didn’t get to head to Vegas. Anyone here any good smart home announcements last week? I haven’t seen much hit the wire other than the typical fluff piece event wrap ups.

This thread was created a few days ago.

Not too much going on, evidently;

Sorry did a search first. Must have missed it.

Bunch of Covid theme products.. like touchless Arlo Doorbell and Ettie doorbell to check person temperature :slight_smile:

Hue published wall switch module and couple of lights. SmartThings was talking about cooking service... hmm...what else..

Den Smart Strike smartlock was and is interesting. D-link published DCH-S1621KT water sensor kit. Twinkly published Home Range product but I guess if API will not get published then it is what it is.

That's all I remember.

Razer showed off their gaming "mask" that has RBG and voice amplification.

Razer shows smart mask, futuristic gaming chair, and new RTX laptops | VentureBeat

I’d be surprised if they could actually pull that off, at a consumer-friendly price point at least.

Seems like a gimmick to me, I doubt it would work well, especially in a consumer friendly price point.

Speaking purely from an economic perspective. Some technologies and products are only expensive because of low demand. Tuning a CCD to pick up extended spectrum or going full thermal with a metal lense might be cheap if mass produced. I know zero of the actual cost of either, but I never rule out a company being able to innovate when there's a 'crisis' to exploit.

1 Like