Anyone using a Konnected alarm panel conversion? How are you getting the most out of it?

I recently replaced my ADT/Honeywell alarm board with a 12 zone conversion from Konnected.io.

Because my OEM Safewatch 3000 / Vista 20P board seemed to be actually failing, I replaced it with the Konnected product.

Overall, the Konnected conversion seems to be working well: my Hubitat sees my hard-wired alarm sensors and I can set up whatever logic I want. There were a couple of software glitches, but I got through them. (Konnected is also unfortunately not compatible with the 2-wire smoke sensors in my ADT system, but they are so old they should be replaced anyway, and the wiring in place should let me install a compatible sensor.)

But having total freedom is also the hard part... I have no more classic alarm control panel. No way to push a button to arm the system, or punch in a code to disarm it... No way to give my neighbor a way to turn off a shrieking alarm... Unless I build all the alarm system logic in the Hubitat GUI myself.

I suppose it requires a change in thinking. There is no more alarm panel... No code... But I guess I can tell my Hubitat, "IF no one is at home via mobile phone presence detection, AND IF an internal motion sensor goes off, THEN send an alert and turn on the siren."

If you have tried to adapt alarm sensors to the Hubitat way of life, I would love to know your design.

Use shm to configure the alarm settings

1 Like

Why not just add a cheap tablet to the wall where the old keypad was and use a virtual keypad on the tablet?

Maybe kahn-hubitat meant HSM?

1 Like

There are no alarm settings to configure. The alarm computer is broken and discarded. There are only sensors and a siren which are now available to Hubitat.

That is possible but it would require extensive programming in Rule Machine (?) to emulate the classic alarm system control panel and arming code interface, and I am not sure I am up for it.

I am also not sure that is the best idea, even if someone wrote an app to do exactly that.

(I ain't complaining, I did ask for ideas.)

I did exactly as you have done. I abandoned my Vista and switched to Konnected. I have been very happy with the change. I use HSM to control my system. I use HD+ to control my alarm system and it works remarkably well. I have several mounted android tablets around my home. And the app works very well on my phone (android only, no iPhone version). Yes, you may have to use RM/webcore programming for specific options (like arming delay with exiting/alarm delay with entering, etc.). I did almost all of my programming with webcore. And there are many examples of RM/webcore code available in the Hubitat/webcore forums. And the WAF has been very good for me. I did build a Hubitat dashboard for her iPhone with very basic arm/disarm options. But we use the mounted pads most of the time. Also, I use voice commands with Alexa for things like "Goodnight" to automate those processes. Yes, initially my wife missed the Honeywell keypads.
honeywell-6160-alphanumeric-alarm-keypad
But pad/phone control is so much better and offers many other home automation options.

So, what does Konnected get you then? You don't have to replace the existing sensors with, say, Zigbee or Z-wave models? Does it communicate with a central station, connected to phone or cell network, or send email or text messages? Does it involve WiFi or is it standalone?

Just curious what it gets you vs. just abandoning it entirely and going with HSM and some new sensors (because there are probably HE motion sensors, etc, already).

I've had a DSC and old version Envisalink for a long time...and they've been working great...text, email, integrated with HE, central station option, but you never know when something could crap out.

edit: I'm liking the concept of mounted Android tablets. For one, they could replace the Ecowitt weather station consoles, not that they're bad, but the tablets could do a lot of other stuff as well. Hmmmm.

Started with tablets but now graduated to arming disarming automatically besed on all cars leaving, house going quiet at night for night mode and garage door opening.or locks unlocking or.motion starting in the morn to switch back to home mode..using hsm the arming/disarming follows the modes.

I use Konnected, and use wall mounted tablets for control (and system monitoring) purposes.

Could also use a Ring keypad paired to hubitat to arm/disarm like an old school alarm system, if you really wanted to have an easier to install physical interface (no power needed, etc).

In reality my presence rules + door lock code use rules manage my alarm 99+% of the time. But I can also do it from my wall tablets.

That is the route that I took when I was trying to make my alarm system smart (pre-Hubitat and pre-SmartThings). I use the same door, motion, glass-break sensors that were in my original system installed 10 years ago. So no hardware changes, just additions with Konnected items/Hubitat/wall-mounted pads.

Yep!

I don't use presence for anything because, for whatever reason, I have had variable reliability...and quite frankly, I just don't trust presence.

Konnected does just one thing: it exposes your existing alarm system sensors to your home automation system. If you have a working alarm system, it can remain in operation, but Konnected knows nothing about arm/disarm states, security codes, etc. It's not a complete alarm system.

Here is a door sensor presented to Hubitat by Konnected. It's really no different than if I had put up a Zigbee sensor.

But since I have good door, window, and motion sensors already built into the home, I wanted to keep using them. I'm the niche user Konnected was made for.

Since Konnected has no alarm logic, that is why I was asking how other people are making use of it. And I got some great ideas and links to things I did not know about, like HD+, so thanks to everyone.

1 Like

I have a working CADDX alarm system with monitoring service. I would not abandon a working alarm system for any home automation system!!! I also use Konnected to connect my alarm system sensors to Hubitat. Particularly my Front Door and Garage Door sensors, which are used in several Rules.

This is the Konnected side of my system, along with battery backup & relay for hard wired garage door control. The power supply on the right is powering both tablets over the existing wiring to the old control panels.

1 Like

at least with my konnected boareds you could not keep the old alarm.. the wiring is rewired in the connected equipment.

That looks very neat - nice work. Mine is a lot messier, but I also have 30+ sensors...

I think the new hardware allows simultaneous use.

In my case, my Honeywell board was dying so I just bypassed it.

As @dean said I would not ditch the alarm system if it was still functional.

Absolutely love those LED driver power supplies. I've been using the Meanwell models for years on projects at work, and they are just bulletproof.

S.