Anyone successfully automated a Samsung TV?

You may want to checkout Node-Red, I think there are some drivers for a 2016/2017+ Samsung TV. I was searching for a driver for mine (2014) but it's not available for my year but I think your year was available. The integration between NR and HE is pretty seamless so this would possibly provide you another solution that does not require any IR.
I have this setup (without motion) to control a Sony TV and Home Theater and it works pretty slick. Just couldn't get a link to my year Samsung.

I struggled with this and tried everything but was always unreliable for one reason or another; but the very simple solution for me, was to let the Roku control things, I forget the name of the hdmi Control standard but I can turn my Samsung tv on/off via the Roku using the community Roku driver. I have a dashboard that has icons for quick shortcuts to eg Netflix too

Found the documentation to install Hubconnect 1.6 which also had the links, however when I tried to do the pre-installation steps, they wouldn't save to app code. I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. I don't have a SmartThings hub and it sounded from your steps like I don't need one (just want to integrate a TV and fridge), so maybe the pre-installation steps are what are messing me up since the diagram seems to indicate needing multiple hubs, which I don't have. But then I get stuck as I'm not figuring out where the files are for the actual Hubconnect application. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Wouldn't Chromecast integration work for this as well? Buy the cheapest ChromeCast, make sure its always powered, and have it wake up your TV through Hubitat.

Actually itā€™s called CEC that handles communication across HDMI links and Samsungā€™s version is often called Anynet.

Don't see why not... I spent a long time faffing around with hackish solutions on Pis and SmartThings etc..at one point I had the TV on a smart switch but not great to just kill the power and there was always such a lag when starting up.... controlling via CEC works well..

If you have a raspberry pi connected to hdmi, thereā€™s a way to control the tv on/off using cec.

I can share the code if needed

Thanks, will let you know on code. I discovered the issue with the HubConnect code, apparently what looks like intact code is actually copying and pasting with a space/line break inserted. You have to look carefully for it as it's easy to miss, but it's there. If you delete the space the code imports perfectly. It's the same for the driver as well as the apps code. Once I caught on to that, everything ported in just fine but what a mess. I also found another thread with explanations about adding your TV to the SmartThings app as a device and using WiFi, which will then allow HubConnect to pick it up so will try that next.

Are you saying you were able to get your TV working through Hubconnect without a ST hub, by just deleting some lines of code?
I agree that the documentation definitely implies that a hub is required.

Nope, haven't been able to get the TV connected and working. I only got as far as getting the code imported, finally, after figuring out that it pasted poorly. Sorry to make that confusing. I spent a couple of hours last night trying to get the TV connected and just can't figure it out. I may try again tonight but it's possible it just is one that can't be connected. Which would stink as I am NOT buying an ST hub only for that.

Interesting. Yes its not ideal, as it seems like a very basic device (TV on/off is all I seek as a minimum). Thanks for your efforts on it though.

Local driver available now.

Where to I find a Roku only driver, they all seem to be for LG TVs.

None of the Apps work on my 2019 model when I use that driver.

You have to be in the same room as the TV. I had to log off my router, log back in, get the IP address, then run Habitat on my tablet, phones work too and enter in the IP address then hit save. Your TV will them prompt you and you have to use the IR remote to yell it yes. It will only be on very shortly, next try a command and you will get another prompt, use the IR remote again to select yes, which is the default so just use the enter / OK key. it will then finally work but only after the TV is already power up, If you do not do this the TV will reject any attempt to connect. I had to go through the logs to figure this out. There are no instructions about this.

Yes, you can access some TV's without needing ST. I now use the Hubitat on my newest sets and the Logitech on my network connected pre-2016 set.

1 Like

But it is the same, a toothbrush is still a toothbrush of if it is labeled magic tooth clean 3000.

The ST hub died so I use the Harmony hub now.

I'm running hubconnect without a hub right now. Everything works as needed with my set up, no modifications needed. Although I think i did need it for the initial setup, but that hub is long gone now and it's still connecting through the cloud.

1 Like