Anyone know of a simple programable display that can be used for Hubitat msgs?

For quite some time I wanted to put a small display in our kitchen that would show the status of different sensors, contacts etc.

I don't like the idea of a tablet as they tend to be large and not always on.

If I made one it would be a 2.5 inch OLED or ePaper display, but would rather not go down that route as I can't figure out how to create a professional package.

Anybody run into something like this?

2 Likes

Not 2.5 inches; however, an old apple/android phone could be used w/o cell connection to act as a mini-display. Just make sure you get the correct OS version for the Hubitat phone app. You can then define a central dashboard with messages, house, thermostat, lock status and access to control devices and have Hubitat notify you on the device.

I see several new ones on Amazon (US) for < $50, one with a 4" display. Also small, 7" tablets (I know, no tablets).

2 Likes

That's what I do with my retired Android phones. If you're just using Hubitat dashboards, you don't even need to install the Hubitat app because the dashboards open with a browser. I also have Tasker app on my phone and phone is plugged into a smart plug. Then I can turn the smart plug off when the phone battery is fully charged and back on when battery is drained.

1 Like

Easy enough to make always on by using direct power (remove battery first)

1 Like

Do this and install the best dashboard

2 Likes

There is also Hubivue as well :slight_smile:

IIRC there was a scrolling LED digital display being discussed around here to display notifications a while back, I can't remember if it every really happened or not. Probably bigger than you want, though.

Anyone remember that?
Am I just (again!) making things up whole cloth to make myself seem useful? :wink:

Still can't find the discussion I'm looking for...but other interesting linkies regarding this:

A couple from a thread, lots of interesting ideas/projects in there:

Thanks for all the input. I actually have an old cell phone I can try some stuff on.

John

You can get fire tablets very cheaply. If you go the tablet route, remove the batteries if on constant power. Also I recommend Hubivue for phones. www.hubivue.com

1 Like

Are you perhaps referring to the LaMetric display? Works fantastic, but crazy expensive for what it does.

That may be the one! Yeah, not cheap.

Makes me think of this: https://tidbyt.com/ I don't have one, but I want one.

As Lucy would say to Charlie Brown - THAT'S IT!! :smiley:

And @bptworld even found a way to integrate it!

1 Like

cool!