Anyone have a C5 they aren't using?

Oh I'm sure they will be great just not looking forward to the migration process from c4 to c7 specifically zwave. Mine are the first gen zwave plus from inovelli

Can't do anything about #1

but...

Have you ever joined a previously joined Zigbee device to the hub? Zigbee parameters are stored in the hub database, not the radio like Z-Wave. When you move the database and to another hub and rejoin the device (factory reset is the same for Zigbee), then it will show "Found Previously Joined Device" just as shown here in step 11 of Migration. That it. The device works again, and the rules on the hub are intact and fully functional with device as stored in that database.

If there's special on-device configuration (pretty rare with most Zigbee actually) then there's also often a separate procedure for pairing vs factory reset. But most of them don't have any on-device configuration, so "factory reset" and paring mode are the same.

It took me about 2 days because I chose to rebuild a lot of stuff. Migrate wasn't quite ready for Beta at the time, but when my C-3 was killed by a rapid up/down power fluctuation that occurred after a tree branch took out power lines nearby, it was time.

I don't regret the work for a minute. C-7 is faster and more stable than any before it. I used to need to do a reboot to keep things stable, but when I made the transition, I got rid of any code or devices that was causing or I suspected of causing issues. Everything has been smooth sailing ever since.

1 Like

Re-pairing isn't the issue.

If you factory reset a ZigBee device it loses all its configuration and as I said, some battery powered devices will take multiple manual "configure" commands to configure properly if they don't configure fully the first time during pairing. I know how many attempts it took me to get some of these devices configured and working properly, it's not a process that I'd like to repeat if I can help it.

And, depending on the driver, that initial "configure" might carry out some initial cluster bindings and only set the defaults as written in the driver. Your chosen preferences aren't usually sent to the device until you hit "save preferences". So that's another round of attempts to get any preferences to be sent to the devices fully.

Again, IMO that's all hassle I'd like to avoid, but for others maybe it's not, each to their own.