Anyone create their own HUE strips?

Yeah wire with shrink tube could work great as well. Back of my tv faces a half wall and the front door so when people walk in they will have bias strips shining over half wall and top part of install will be visible, thus want to use aluminum channel diffusers and make corners look as clean as possible.

Do you happen to have pics or links for 3 wire connectors you used to doubled up on the 15mm 6pin strips?

I actually bought those from the sowilo guys too. They’re really helpful. They gave me tips on aluminum diffusers also.

These ones I assume. Having not handled LED tape yet theory crafting and planning, was thinking that those were just for wires and would have to solder to the copper pads on LED strip.

I am guessing one cut around the pad connectors on strip and clamp straight into these? No scale in the picture wasn't visualizing they could fit side my side and clamp to strip. If that is how they work will make things easier than I thought.

Oh, yeah those are for wires for sure. Not sure how well it would work after cutting the strips. You need a couple inches of wire for the wire clamps to work, just for spacing purposes. Best bet is probably solder and heat shrink.

1 Like

This is what you need.

Or if you have 6 pin LED strips.

Yes exactly what I want.... but bifrost are 15mm wide they say on site and 6pin, seems to be a rare to find those handy connector for 15mm 6pin tape. Will do more searching after my chores here.

I am assuming the above connectors for 10mm and 12mm wouldn't line up on Bifrost 15mm strips?

No, probably not. But may I ask, why you're using RGBWW lights for biased lighting? They are going to be VERY bright. Probably brighter than you think. The recommendation for neopixels for biased lighting is usually around 60 pixels per meter. And they are only RGB. You're talking about having two separate white channels in addition to the RGB. That's a LOT of light.

Also, biased lighting behind a TV really only works when there is something for the light to reflect on. Your lights aren't going to show up if there is only a half wall behind your TV. Just trying to save you some time and money for something I don't think you're going to be very happy with. Take a look online. All the demo videos for Ambilight or TV biased lighting is all full wall behind the TV. Otherwise, it won't work.

Thank-you for the perspective, some food for thought.

I am new and learning, I don't even have my Hubitat yet, just cleared customs this morning :slight_smile: Just got hue over the holidays and it gave me a bug to improve lighting and realized I wanted more variety than hue ecosystem offers, z-wave physical switches, motion / lux sensors etc with one unified interface.

The half wall goes to the top of TV and I hope will provide enough reflection, the entry way cuts across at a right angle and people can look down over half wall. Thus why I eventually if it works I wanted to clean up the look with channel and diffuser. Also the way its laid out want it to double as accent / mood lighting, so being able to do warm and colours when not using the screen, but have a good CRI at 6500 for biased as well.

Have a few spots I want to play with strip lights so thinking I will grab 2m strip and see if I like it, and use it elsewhere if its not a fit. Also I obviously need some hands on with LED strips, never gave them any thought till a few days ago.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.