Anybody else having issues with hue lights not updating?

Hi,

I'm having the issue that my recently added hue light groups aren't updating their states. Turning them on with a physical device (switch or button) or within the hue app doesn't change the switch state in hubitat.....all the other/old groups seem to work. Which is weird.

Best regards

Hue light and group states won't update immediately in Hubitat [EDIT: I mean for changes made to Hue outside Hubitat; changes from inside Hubitat will be reflected as soon as the hub knows the Bridge received the command] due to the fact that the Hue Bridge integration relies on "polling," periodically asking the Hue Bridge for an updated list of device states. So, my first guess is that you haven't waited for the polling interval to have passed before looking at the device states in Hubitat.

By default, the polling interval is set to one minute. You can check or change it from the Hue Bridge Integration app on Hubitat (under Apps > Hue Bridge Integration). The default is 1 minute. You can choose an interval as low as 10 seconds, but I wouldn't do that unless you have a good reason. You can also manually run a "Refresh" command on the Hue Bridge device (the Bridge, not a bulb/group), which does the same thing a poll does.

If your polling interval is set as you want it and you're waiting but find it's still not polling for some reason then...I'm not sure. But you could try changing the interval to something else, hitting "Done," then going back in and changing it back to what you want and hitting "Done" to save it again. (Just guessing as something that might make the poll get re-scheduled or scheduled correctly.) But most of the time when I hear of this problem, it's just a matter of not having waited.

1 Like

Best not to control it from the app. Any main control, motion, button should be done within hubitat that way it knows the correct state. If you want the less important extras within the app then they can wait for the poll.

The thing is that some devices don't seem to get polled at all. I could wait for hours and nothing would happen. Only polling the hub manually would update the correct states....

Seems to be a more serious issue. I will write a support ticket. Non of my lights get polled. Only a manual poll refreshes the state. I already deleted the entire hue built-in app an relinked the hue bridge. Didn't help though.

Support hasn't answered so far.....I really don't know what else I could do to make communication between bridge and hub work properly again.

Could there be anything preventing this from working properly, like vLANs or firewalls? (If everything works in the other direction, though, that does seem a bit odd.) I did write a custom Hue Bridge integration, CoCoHue, that you could try out if you wanted, and if it doesn't work I'd be in a better position to help figure out why than with the built-in integration. :slight_smile: But I don't want to suggest that as a solution to a problem you really shouldn't have. Good luck either way!

Thanks for your answer! With the built-in app it does work the other way around. So I can switch on or off lights from within hubitat. However turning them on via a physical switch doesnt seem to report the correct states anymore...or any states at all. The original android hue app shows the correct states, though.

Funnily your app works and shows the correct states....now I'm really confused as I seem to be the only person having this problem....

Did you get this fixed, I had this issue when I first started off with hubitat last year back in Aug\Sept.

I am sure I managed to resolve it by re-syncing the hub, recently I moved some of my hue dimmers from the hubitat system back to the hue system as they kept dropping off and being unreliable.

Since the move I have been witnessing the same as you, if I use hubitat to control the lights its fine.

If I use hue to control the lights they become out of sync, I.E. Switch the light on using HUE, Hubitat never gets the status to say its been powered on.

P.S. I have tried re-syncing multiple times but using the hue app never updates the status to of the build\device to hubitat

Yes. In my case it was a bug with hubitat. Hubitat doesn't update states if only groups are used. You need to import at least one lamp/bulb for hubitat to pull the correct states.

1 Like

Thanks for replying, Strangely enough I have both bulbs and groups but cant see to figure out why the communication is only working 1 way, it was working both ways for me previously.

As a debugging step you might try the CoCoHue community-supported integration. That might at least help you figure out where the problem lies.

Thanks, no idea why or how but this has just started working on its own, which is very strange. will still give CoCoHue Community a try as I have seen it mentioned a lot when I was looking for a solution to the problem I was having.

There is nothing worse when things just stop\start working, Thanks!

No kidding! I have one place in my house where the ONLY Zigbee or ZWave smart plug I could get to work is a Hue plug. I tried ALL SORTS of other brands and they would inevitably drop off the network. The installation is (ironically) right next to my main power panel, and I think those other plugs are overwhelmed by RFI from the panel and all the stuff that sits next to it. The Hue outlet is ZLL and for some odd reason it works down there. Maybe ZLL is less subject to interference? Maybe this particular unit is better shielded or has filtering? Who knows. But it works! The Hue Bridge app does not support outlets... but CoCoHue does.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.