Any value to making "rooms"

Yeah, this came out of the context of rooms (my primary use case) but you could use any tagging system you wanted, and if modeled after something like gmail, any device could have multiple tagging systems overlaid on top of each other with no ill effects. For instance I'd do Rooms, Device Class (lights, sensors, shades & Blinds, etc.) and tag devices that are connected but not in use right now.

2 Likes

Very excellent idea.

I do the same. I have found that I have created Virtual Devices to either clarify the name to be more definitive or the allow a better natural name to pass to the Alexa integration. On my HomeSeer system all of this was solved by adding A location variable which could be labeled “Room” and ALSO essentially giving us a “Voice Name” for voice control. The helped greatly in that the Device Name could be descriptive for the back end and the Voice Name could be a more natural phrase.

-Travis

Groups would be nice, I have prefixed by rule machine rules with a number that equates to the room or control function. For device names it's more of an issue because many voice command rely on the device name/label and I can't use the numeric prefixes there.

2 Likes

I don't do this? Once their in the assistant app and in a room, I rename them and remove the prefix; sorted.

Thought it was just me, All my devices are Room Name-Device Type. Otherwise how the heck do you find motion sensor 18 of 42? I also started doing this with my dashboards, 1 dash for each room.

Better than the dash, is "home remote" is a cool app that does this, and works remotely. The dev is on this forum, a great guy
@bill.venhaus

2 Likes

When I say "home assistant device" in this sense, I mean Alexa or Google Home

I know and that's what i use. When you add it to Google home you can change its name.