Any value to making "rooms"

Has anyone found value in making Groups that contain all the devices in a room? I feel like every other Home automation platform is heavily based on the concept of rooms, but Hubitat seems to eschew this completely.

I'd really love to have tags and filters in the device list, but that's more of a feature request

Does anyone else make/use rooms in any useful way?

1 Like

Check out @bptworld’s Room Director
[RELEASE] Room Director - Smarter rooms, automatically!

That would be a nice enhancement.

In the meantime, I have labeled all devices with a room as the prefix. Example, all my devices in the one bath begin with "Large Bathroom", the kitchen all begin with "Kitchen", and so on. At least there is a minimum amount of sorting that way. The only thing that isn't sorted that well are things like the Echo devices, and a few other virtual devices that apps created.

3 Likes

I use it to control my ceiling fan/light. Each device has a separate switch, so I can turn off both with one command

That isn't at the device level. In other words, I think Jared wants to be able to look at the Devices tab and have some sorting by rooms there.

1 Like

That's what I've done for the most part too, but it still feels very messy, I wish their were a grouped by rooms (or any arbitrary label tags) view of the device list, where I could collapse sections.

4 Likes

exactly

3 Likes

+1 me on this too. When you get into the hundreds of devices, it becomes increasingly tough to sort and find things in that Device tab.

I had a feature request in to be able to create "tags" for devices then be able to filter on those tags in the UI as needed. Still think it would be a good idea. Nothing would be impacted functionally only in terms of the UI... you could then use those filter tags anywhere you had a device selection or display.

4 Likes

The other trick that can help is to type into the search bar in the device page. That still doesn't collapse or sort things by section, but it only shows things with that name. But you still have to remember what you named something to search.

I think a dashboard that only should devices not attributes and if clicked on would take you to the device page would be the easiest to navigate but maybe that is just how my brain works.

Yes, due to the number of devices I have that's the only way I can use the device list, having tags and groups would make it way more usable.

1 Like

Staff mentioned a while back that they're open to an idea along these lines but aren't sure exactly if (or how) they'll implement it. (EDIT: I thought I found a post on this but it was literal groups like Groups and Scenes...I'm thinking I still saw something like this but maybe I remembered wrong.)

In the meantime, I do what others suggested above: pretty much all of my devices start with the room name (e.g., "Kitchen Motion" or "Bedroom Color Bulb 1"). You can search/filter on device names (or labels and DNIs and probably other fields) on the device page, which is an often overlooked feature that may help if you're trying to find a specific device (EDIT: which I see was just mentioned above while I was typing).

I'll also say that if they ever implement anything, I'm not sure it will meet your needs. I can't speak for staff but can say that they've always hinted that the hub's admin UI is not intended for day-to-day use of devices, which is where I'm coming from with that. If you're looking to monitor or control a device, Hubitat Dashboard (or SharpTools or whatever other solution you may want to use)--or an app/automation based on something in the real world--is a better choice. On a Dashboard, you can group and sort devices however you want. The admin UI would then only be needed for...well, administration, which isn't something most people do on all their devices all the time. I'd also guess that this is why such a feature is apparently low priority.

3 Likes

I know @aaiyar will say "once you get things set up you never need to log in again" but I find myself always going in and tweaking something or fiddling with something else. So, yes, it is a tool, and yes it is an "admin tool" but I like my tools to look and work well. especially ones that I find myself using a lot.

1 Like

I get that, but that makes my argument about the ability to sort even stronger. If you aren't going in there all that often, you won't remember what you named something, and it will be tougher to find stuff than if you did go into the Device tab daily.

1 Like

Yep thats what I do as well. The trouble is as the number of devices increases it becomes harder to maintain.. when making rules, editing settings, changing drivers (maybe) etc. You are always doing something in the UI..

With tags you could even do dashboard setup with devices with a certain tag instead of or in addition to "all" devices.

1 Like

Definitely would like this too. I'm tired of prefacing each name with the room then having to call it out to my home assistant device to trigger it

2 Likes

!!! if the groups/labels showed up in the device picker drop downs in apps and Rule Machine this would be SO USEFUL! in some dropdowns I'm scrolling forever and their is no search, and browser search only works sometimes in the dropdowns.

4 Likes

I don't know how the staff picks and chooses from the Feature Requests forum area, but I made a request there if you want to :heart: it if you think it would be useful for you.

1 Like

The problem I get into with device names is that sometimes I want to think about them in the context of room (so I use a prefix; Living Room -, Master Bedroom -, etc) but sometimes it make sense in the context of what they do (so then I end up with some other prefix like presence -). Then I forget and can't find anything :smile:

So a way of adding multiple tags (like room, 'family' l, 'group', whatever) would be useful I think.

2 Likes