Any non-battery powered contact sensors out there?

Hi, I am using an EcoLink Zwave door/contact sensor, but the battery keeps draining within 3 weeks (even with a repeater within 15 feet). If there are suggestions for sensors that work on either 110V or 12V dc (essentially any powered source), I would love to hear. Either Zwave or Zigbee are fine as Hubitat handles both.
Thanks,
Neil

That is not normal, their is no reason for that battery to be drained that fast. I'm not familiar with that sensor, did you use a built in driver or is it a community made driver? Sounds like it is being far too active.

I don't have the know how to help you but I know someone will. In preparation get the log for that device so they can see just what the sensor is doing.

1 Like

Is any sort of reporting interval turned up on that? 3 weeks is def not normal. Most wired contact sensors I believe will need a panel (someone correct me if I'm wrong) Though you could rig a faux battery to usb adapter then use a power brick for it. I'd be more interested though why it's dying so quick

3 Likes

I'm with @jnosa899 I think you have the wrong driver. I know there was a problem with the ecolink tilt devices getting the wrong driver. I don't know if the contact sensors have a similar problem.

Agree with others that your battery should last much longer.

You can always hard wire battery sensors via battery eliminators. I made them myself and describe here:

Cannot remember if it was @erktrek who posted this but I recently used one of these too where you just need to cut off the alligator clips and then either solder the wires to the sensor or use a piece of dowel like I describe in the post above.
Kaqiqi USB5V to Clip 3V Power Cord Replace 2X AA AAA Battery Eliminator USB 5V to 3V Step-Down Cable for Radio Toy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KGS7PNH/

3 Likes

A Zen17 can be be setup to allow 2 wire contact sensor to work from it. The Zen17 can use a simple usb wall wart and usbc to power it. Depending on what you are trying to do this may work ok. It runs on Zwave to talk back to the Hub.

I've had a EcoLink Zwave Door/contact sensor operate flawlessly (without battery change) for 3 years!
If it drains in 3 weeks, something in your setup is very wrong. (Maybe you just used the wrong battery).

2 Likes

Agreed that the battery issue shouldn't be occurring. I like the dowel idea too. Another option per the initial request would be to use a Konnected alarm with door contact sensor. A bit pricey but an option of you want to expand into outside/indoor PIR's etc

Thanks for the inputs! [BTW, I have two identical devices, and one lasted 6 months, and the other has gone through 5 batteries, each lasting 3 weeks]

• The EcoLink Sensors are using a Generic Z-wave Contact Sensor driver.
  • The event logs do not show anything abnormal and when they work, the sensors work just fine.
  • I used Energizer CR123 replacement batteries (seemed to have a decent rating on Amazon). I measured the voltage before inserting each one and it showed about 3.5-3.7V initially.

Thanks for the Battery Elliminator dowel and links to other chargers. Shall definitely try those out.

• Neil
2 Likes

Ecolink z-wave contact sensors are generally known for having long battery life. I have two in use for 3 years and they still report 100% battery life.

Of course, battery reporting is famously inaccurate for many devices, in that one day it may report 100% and then begins dropping precipitously. Nevertheless, my Ecolinks have lasted three years so far.

I’m not sure why you’re having such short battery life. How often is your door opening/closing?

1 Like

Hi. These guys are powered both by a battery and a micro USB connector. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802108129427.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

3 Likes

Very cool!

2 Likes

I am now settled on using the dowel solution as well as dry contacts (instead of the magnet, so that I can mount the device several feet away from the gate) for the Ecolink device. However, I just can't figure out what kinds of contact options are available to sense that the gate is closed/open (some kind of a spring loaded clip, or are there other mechanical solutions available?). If anyone has ideas, would love to hear. Thanks. - Neil

I am trying to upload a picture of my gate, but it keeps saying "Sorry you can't embed media items in a post". What am I doing wrong? Any thoughts?

Copy/paste?

FYI magnetic switches are one way to monitor your gate.

Just need to get a few more posts under your belt to get past the spam filters.

2 Likes

I presume these are passive with no batteries etc. And then I just connect the wires to a dry contact port on the Ecolink?

Yup, of course there are also surface mount versions available as well:

Heavy Duty Wired Alarm Magnetic Garage Door Contact Switch Sensor NC with Adjustable Bracket