Any In-Wall Multi Button Scene Controllers?

Looking for something like this:

https://www.ktool.net/eaton-rfwc5aw-aspire-rf-wall-mount-5-scene-led-keypad-120-volt-alpine-white-finish/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwmpb0BRCBARIsAG7y4zZpgbKbb52HNZQqf6eb_Z4AghhXTDmjdwHY7RNWAU1YmBPSM6eNQucaAiRYEALw_wcB

This says it's zwave compatible, but I think it's designed to directly connect with the devices, not the hub.

Actually, it looks like someone made a driver for this one...

1 Like

There is a new one from GE. https://www.amazon.com/GE-Enbrighten-34176-Portable-One-Touch/dp/B084N5H4SC/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=GE+scene+controller&qid=1585855958&sr=8-2

All three versions of these arrived a few days ago, these likely aren't going to work with Hubitat as button controllers.
From the looks of them they aren't going to work with any Z-Wave controller as button controllers either.

If they can be made to work, it will involve assigning the hub to each of the four buttons manually using a specific sequence of button presses on the device, it's not possible to program this assignment using zwave commands.

So given the price, antique implementation ect, these are on the do not buy list...

ZERO carrots...

3 Likes

There is also a Remotec:
https://www.amazon.ca/Remotec-Master-Remote-Z-Wave-REMEZRC90/dp/B01DW1OYW8/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=remotec&qid=1585859454&sr=8-3

I have a couple of the ones @zarthan posted, not exactly "in-wall" but they work well. They do mount "On-wall" just not "in" (unless you feel like getting pretty handy).

How many buttons are you looking for?

Pico 4 button are cheap, and have wall plates. Of course you need to have Caseta Pro or Ra. Depending on how many you want, or your overall plans, it's hard to say if it is worth it.

These will not work directly with Hubitat (need Lutron Caseta, or Radio Ra).

RGB Genie are close to what you want, they are supported in Hubitat, and are wall mount like a switch. Two similar models depending upon what you want. I have the second one and use it to control LED strip lights. Works well for its intended purpose.

1 Like

Any pico remote can work as a scene controller. The 5 button pico is usually 1/2 the price of the 4 button. And it can activate scenes just like the 4 button can.

1 Like

True, I just don't think it looks right used that way. But to each, their own.

I just didn't want anyone thinking that you had to have that pico to launch a Hubitat scene, that's all.

Yeah, I'm looking for something that is fairly straightforward for non-automators at home. I want to have a zone controller at the top of my basement stairs that lets me to put the basement into "All on", "Movie mode", "Game mode", and an all off button at least. I could throw another couple of setups in there, like Storage Room lights and Bar lighting.

That's why I was looking at the 5 button + all off controller from Eaton.

Lutron Pico: PJ2-4B-GWH-P01

1 Like

Keep in mind that there’s nothing more intuitive about a controller with no markings at all, than their is for one with lightbulbs and arrows on it. I’ve taught my wife and son some of the functions I’ve configured for Picos around the house, but for the most part I’m the only one that uses them, and I know what they do.

My point is, you can spend an awful lot trying to make things accessible for people that will never touch them. I find the family almost always gravitates to asking Alexa.

So make sure you’re adding buttons for the right person. Pico‘s are the best deal when you’re adding more than one or plan too, and they work the best and offer the most flexibility of any Decora style controller in my opinion

Are all versions of the Picos compatible with Caseta or are some only for RA2 etc?

Yes. They all work with Caseta.

If you want to go REALLY fancy, you could get one of the Night Light Picos where the center button has a little green night light in it. They are $30 a pop though. :wink:

Energy Avenue is the site that has just about every Lutron device made. They may not be the cheapest, but you can get a good idea of what is out there.

https://www.energyavenue.com/products?search=pico

2 Likes

Saw that.. Unfortunately after I got one in.. I should have read the cert better.. I had one come in yesterday

....go RA2 Hybrid Keypad. Brace your wallet for emptying. :rofl::joy:

EDIT: If you do go Caseta make sure you get the Pro hub. Only the Caseta Pro hub works with HE, not the standard model.

1 Like

Anywhere you see "Call for price" I read it as "too expensive for me". LOL

1 Like

Have an update for anyone looking for more Pico's! Energy Avenue is having a sale! 3 button raise/lower (5 button) for only $11.74 and 2 buttons for only $13.98. And free shipping with coupon code SHIPFREE18 which still works! How can you pass up those prices? I have been looking for a decent price for the 2 button one for a while now. Might just have to pick up a couple.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.