Another question from a SmartThings refugee

Looks like almost all of my devices will work on Hubitat, so I just had a few questions about some custom automations I have in WebCore and how they will transition between cloud to locally running.

-First: I need to be able to trigger pistons remotely. I currently use a POST request to set variables & trigger pistons, but Im not sure how that functionality would work on Hubitat. I just need to be able to trigger pistons manually outside of my home network.

-Second: location based triggers. I have a few pistons that utilize my phone's location to determine what logic to apply. Wondering how that works given that everything is local.

Welcome to HE!

The wc piston url is still reachable from outside the network.

I don't think the location based triggers works in the HE platform. I've never used it, someone who knows for sure will chime in.

Tip: There are virtual button/switch drivers available that can be used to trigger pistons from a dashboard. One example is available here or look for "Http Button Pad", namespace: "ra", author: "Rob Alfonso".

in regards to the geolocation, you can set it for your home to indicate if you're home (present) or not. you can then utilize this in your rules to do one thing if you're present, and another if you're not

I just recently converted from SmartThings to Hubitat - my driving force being the upcoming loss of using webCoRE on SmartThihngs. Anyway, I used webCore Presence sensor when I was on SmartThings and it transitioned completely when I moved to Hubitat. I do NOT use HE's presence sensor because I found it to be fairly inaccurate. For instance, it often does not know that we're home. Anyway, webCoRE's presence sensor works well for me.

To explain further, I've established two concentric distance rings that define Home, Away and Vacation areas. Every five minutes, I check to see where my and my wife's iPhones are. If we both pass through a threshold and move to an adjacent area (i.e., Home to Away or Away to Vacation or visa versa), webCoRE changes my thermostat settings to save energy, etc.

I just returned from a trip to visit my son in Cleveland ( live near Rochester, NY) and it worked perfectly. Let me know if you have questions.

Using HTTP requests to trigger a piston and to send variables to a piston still works. The process is identical to how things worked on SmartThings: if you're viewing a piston, you'll be able to copy the external URL from the Quick Facts box.

Are you getting Hubitat alerts indicating “Excessive Events” from the Webcore Presence sensor devices? I installed it, works accurately, but each Presence Sensor device produces 400-600+ events per hour.

I am not getting excessive event notifications from my (2) iPhone's presence sensors (my wife and me). However, even though I'm unsure it was needed, I set the thresholds for both of us to 600 (up from the 'normal' 300) and have not encountered anything over that. To be sure, I also regularly check my hub (just did it again to respond appropriately) for any issues and have found none. Each of the presence sensors only represents 0.4% of the busy loading and 0.003% of the total hub hours. The overall device load is only 0.6%. My overall app load is 2.3%. To me, that's really nothing to worry about.

And as we both discovered, the presence/location sensors are very accurate. I use the webCoRE sensors to drive:

• Auto calculation of Home, Away, and Vacation Modes based on distance from home and with seasonal adjustments
  • Internal Lighting for Home, Away, and Vacation Modes
  • Ceiling Fans for Home, Away, and Vacation Modes
  • HVAC Recirculation Fan
  • Thermostat Settings for Home, Away, and Vacation Modes
  • Outdoor Fountains
  • Arrival and Doorbell Lighting
  • Door Lock access and notification based on someone being present or not
  • Amazon Echo Guard - auto on/off

Thanks for the details. I’ve been using Webcore Presence sensors for years with SmartThings so am aware of the reliability and accuracy.

But, my follow up question: even though you set the threshold to over 600 before triggering an excessive activity alert, are you seeing the logs still pinging the hub 300-600 times? Being alerted of spammy devices is one thing, but I don’t want it bogging down the network either.

Also, how did you check percentage of activity represented from an app or device on HE?

Thanks I’m advance for checking.

No, I've not seen any issues with excessive events or pinging. I posted my device and app load statistics in my earlier response to show the lack of any issues at all.

"Each of the presence sensors only represents 0.4% of the busy loading and 0.003% of the total hub hours. The overall device load is only 0.6%. My overall app load is 2.3%."

There has been no slow-down or hub-bogging at all.

Yes I saw the stats percentage, but percentages are relative to overall activity. I was wondering if you notice actual raw number of pinging or events. Again, my hub was alerting me of spammy devices in excess of 300-600 (per presence phone). Are you not seeing that at all, or you are, but that’s relatively “normal”?

I have not specifically looked to see if the webCoRE presence devices are near my 600 event threshold (they are not exceeding 600 because I've received no warnings) because the stats I posted are a clear indication that there is no issue with the webCoRE presence devices - or anything else on my hub. If the stats indicated an issue or if the hub appeared to be bogging, I'd investigate further. The stats look fine and the hub is pretty much loafing all the time.

I hope this helps.

Ok thanks for the info.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.